another what car thread - epiphany reached. Bicycles instead

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Ok, so I've typed this before. I have an 'area' from the M1 to the east coast installing little black boxes in cars for customers with piss poor credit history. Great job, pays is pretty reasonable and I get mileage.

I've done 22,000 miles since July 6th. Its mostly A road and dual carriageways. Rarely around towns, mostly industrial estates and the odd countryside car dealership.

My current squeeze is a Fiat Stilo estate with the '120' JTD engine - not the worst car in the world (I've already owned those) but keeps on plodding along. Electrical bugs are its main weakness along with terrible suspension.

It gets around 55mpg - a trip to Norwich and back can often cost as little as £20 in fuel with some left over.

My mechanic friend recommends the old original C class Merc 250 turbodiesel, perhaps the E300 TD if I can find one that isnt about to fall on the floor with rusty turrets. He doesnt recommend the 220 CDI or 320 CDI due to weak injectors and other issues. Also in the mix is the even older 190 2.5 diesel if I can find one.

These cars can do 50mpg with basic maintenance and are well known to do intergalactic mileage.

Volvos are too expensive for parts, same for audi. Skodas seem to have vanished into the taxi trade and in my budget, VWs already have the mileage I intend to do. Fords are cheap for a reason, the TCDI engines and the Peugeot based diesel are pants

My car is still worth a few quid so budget will be around £2000 - £3000

Any ideas? Leftfield welcome - have considered another slk 200 as the supercharger pulley is not as expensive as they used to be and the engine mpg in the C-class is comparable to its diesel siblings (45mpg or so in our 2.0 SLK).

I want rid of the Fiat as it is just awful after 2-3 hours of driving. I dont want personal leasing or new as the mileage will kill me/ depreciation.

Not bothered by image (I drive a Stilo ffs!) but at least with a Merc, just about everyone carries spares.

Re:

If you don't want to go anywhere at warp speed i can recommend the 2litre non turbo diesel Nissan almera/primera.
They are never going to break the land speed record but they just go on and on and on.
My 1998 one had 312,000 on the clock when i parted with it. I part ex'd it for a 2003 1.5 petrol Almera,(assuming it would have improved as it was newer :facepalm: ) which funnily enough, was the worst car i have ever owned.
Oh and they are about £600 these days :D

Re: another what car thread - car for 40,000 a year+

Does it have to be derv? My Saab 93 aero will do near enough 45mpg on a run and is comfortable and the 2.0T engine is strong. Parts are vectra based and contrary to popular belief easily available. Price wise 3k should see you into a 56 plate with 80k on it.

Carl

Re:

Plus 1 on the Saab idea, a friend of mine did an easy 200k in his tuned aero ragtop, and it only sipped the juice.

Also consider almost any Japanese, especially Lexus and Honda, and don't forget the Subaru legacy. Big and roomy, built like a brick latrine, and not to uneconomical with the boxer Diesel engine.

The "out there" idea would be a jag S type. It's an old gits car, and its styling was bloody awful, but the good thing is once you're in it you don't have to look at it. It's comfortable beyond word for motorways, the v6 diesel is a peach, and being a jag, it can get a wriggle on if the fancy takes you, and it's not scared of corners.

Re:

file.php

This beast cost me £1500
120k on the clock, Prinz LPG converted 20k ago, cost equivalent of 42mpg around the wiggly lanes, knocking on 300 ponies,goes like bat shit off Satan's shovel, etc...
There are usually similar but later models around for your mid budget.
You won't find a comfier car in which to do a long run.

That Subaru is sweet as. I am driving a Forester day to day, but would love one of those. How come it doesn't have a scoop? Very tidy!

highlandsflyer":3jn3r24m said:
That Subaru is sweet as. I am driving a Forester day to day, but would love one of those. How come it doesn't have a scoop? Very tidy!

UK model spec b has a na flat 6, older JDM model had a turbocharged 4 pot.

Carl

drcarlos":3fmcn1d1 said:
highlandsflyer":3fmcn1d1 said:

UK model spec b has a na flat 6, older JDM model had a turbocharged 4 pot.

Carl

Yup, it's a 3.0 flat 6, so no intercooler needed. Though some really quick turbos don't have scoops either as they have massive front mounted intercoolers instead.

Back