Internet through the TV

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
As if planned our communal aerial packed up at 2:30 AM and as a result ive no freeview.
Building factors are a joke normally and as expected arent about this close to the new year so im stuck with no TV or i somehow see if i can get it or view it through the internet.
The TV is a sony bravia kdl24w705.

It seems as simple as taking the modem cable out of the back of the computer and into the LAN socket of the TV and i can get it through that
However, how do you then control it. Is there a cursor and if so how then do you fit a mouse and keyboard ,is that even possible.
And what of the computer ? Do i need another connection from the gpu card to the TV so i can use mouse etc via that :? and i can see a socket that my moniter lead would go into , different connections :(

As per usual the manual is a joke.
Anyone clued up enough to tell me what i need to do ?

Re:

If you have a network socket in the rear of the TV then you would access internet TV via an app, usually bbc player or similar that your TV supports, Im not familiar with that set but that's how my Samsung and LG work, the remote controls cursor arrows will navigate you around the set.

The network may need to be enabled on the TV and you will need to select DHCP enabled ;)

The other option is to connect your laptop to the TV via HDMI or VGA depending on TV and laptop outputs / inputs and watch through your laptop

Good luck !

We use the HDMI connection from the laptop and watch that way...

Shaun

PS our internet connection is not good as we are out in the sticks :)

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":2vj21eed said:
Plug in the lan cable and you will have the on demand players there, accessed via your remote

I'll give that a go but would prefer to have the computer on and running too. I think ill need something to adapt my gpu cable to fit in the back of the TV. Card is about 4 years old and although a good one i dont know about compatibility. :? Should all work but being new years eve ill not find a clued up friend in to help my install it all

Re:

FGS, just add your TV to the network, wireless or wired, and have at it! Having a Smart TV and then relying on your computer to send a signal out to it is like buying a 4x4 and running it in 2 wheel all the time! Saying that we throw shit at our TVs all the time via YouTube or whatever from our phones and tablets, laptops and such. Who knew they had a Monkey Scat App?

Re:

I thought you had a decent telly? has it not got WiFi ;-)

Hook it up as you'll have iPlayer no matter what if you have freeview/freesat.

On your computer you can just streem live TV as iPlayer will do that.

VGA, HDMI or DVI. Just hook up whatever you have, you shouldn't need any special cables. Only HDMI will do sound though.

It will also depend on the telly as not all will play everything. Channel 4 doesnt have an app for Sony, content cant always be played due to copyright etc etc blah de blah. Some TVs just cannot cope with low speed internet either.

I am building a mini PC for my telly despite it being a dumb smart TV.

*most new AV amps have HDMI switching and pass through - that is where I plug my 'stuff' into as the TV tends to have a nervous breakdown if its given too many things to think about.

The widely available TV on a stick android thingies can plug in here to be sent off to any display device (resolution is dropped for analog connections due to copyright) as long as post processing is available on the amplifier (just about all have this from around 2012 onward).

Re:

Or if the Sony Network is being hacked your fooked as well ;-)

See if they have a casting app. If you have a tablet or decent phone and run the players from there too.

My Samsung will cast from a PC so no cables needed.

I'm guessing you mean 42 not 24 and it does have WiFi.

Latest posts

Back