Graphics cards help please!

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've just bought Elite: Dangerous however my current GeForce G210 500Mb graphics card is way under spec.

It needs to be 1Gb at least and along lines of Radeon 5770 as minimum (or I'm told, something that will be above around 1500 passmark G3D on the index here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php)

However 3 things:

1) My PC has an odd form factor (ex-education - one of those upright cases with monitor attached) so only fits low profile. I can't see me finding a low profile card so is it reasonable to fit a PCIe x16 extender so I can fit the card sideways or something inside the case? Such as: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-E-Express ... 51c8147721

Would there be any issues with that?

2) Higher spec graphics cards may need a bigger PSU - I don't know what mine is (it has no markings) - is this likely to be an issue or only for top spec cards?

3) Can anyone recommend/find me a card that would fit the bill at the very lowest cost (anything sub £40 would be great). Second hand is fine.

Thanks!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Good chance it's a BTX board and most card will foul something or hit the CPU airflow casing.

(Our old Dells have been like that.)

Nvidia do the GeForce 750 in low profile card and runs with no extra PSU connections.
It's a great card, I use the 750Ti version.
But you're up at the 80 to 100 quid mark. But for that game it probably the minimum you really need.

What is the rest of the spec in the computer.

As for that ribbon, not sure but I would have thought you'd need V2 compliant.

Doubt the PC is v3 though.

Specs help.

:? Bit tricky given your case isnt the normal shape although that said ive seen a few custom are that low profile design so i suppose it could fit , But i think that willbe more luck than anything.
PSU
If the computer was only ever expected to run minor graphics tasks then its unlikely to have the power requirements and if it does its pushing things
Can i ask what its for ? Fancy being a gamer ? :LOL: Or is it a work thing ?. I ask as much of the time its a matter of more system ram almost always produces better results.

My GPU is pretty out of date by todays standards and although it was originally £150 i see you can buy they new for a fraction of that.
My onboard ram was only 3gb before i upped it to 12gb. Not change of graphics but the extra ram produced dramatic results and put the game settings from low to medium with a couple of them on high.
Card i have is an nvidia geforce 9800gtx black edition 512mb. Im quite sure the same card in 1gb with the 12gb ram would put BF3 or 4 easily in the high settings with 50-60fps

Sometime youve just got to start from scratch.

Latest posts

Back