FAO Retro Hifi Gurus

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Got my old Sony CDP-790 CD player out of the loft as we kitted out our dining room and I can fit it in. I set it up with my Pioneer A300-X and a pair of Mordaunt Short MS10's (sounds real nice) but it has a glitch or three and I wonder if these maybe fixable.
The first thing is when you eject the tray it come out and immediately goes back in so you have to drop the disc in perfectly, it's still usable but annoying.
The second thing is sometimes it doesn't recognise the disc and just spits it straight back out (then the draw shuts again immediately due to the first problem).
Third problem is it seems uber sensitive to shock and jumps with the merest hint of a bump.
Any ideas?

Carl.

drcarlos":26xbt4lm said:
Got my old Sony CDP-790 CD player out of the loft as we kitted out our dining room and I can fit it in. I set it up with my Pioneer A300-X and a pair of Mordaunt Short MS10's (sounds real nice) but it has a glitch or three and I wonder if these maybe fixable.
The first thing is when you eject the tray it come out and immediately goes back in so you have to drop the disc in perfectly, it's still usable but annoying.
The second thing is sometimes it doesn't recognise the disc and just spits it straight back out (then the draw shuts again immediately due to the first problem).
Third problem is it seems uber sensitive to shock and jumps with the merest hint of a bump.
Any ideas?Carl.

I can't pretend to be a guru Carl, but the discs being rejected; are these one's you've burnt on a disc? If so that could be your problem.

Alternatively it may simply be that the disc reader needs cleaning - and they're often a bit sensitive.

Hope this helps, Jon.

P.S my system - Pioneer PL512 deck, Nad 3020i amp, Nad 5440 CD, Nad 6220 cassette, Denon DRA 445 tuner, Mission speaker (can't remember model).

I haven't tried any burnt discs in it only my originals, the sometime reject but after a few tries play OK, I was going to run the lens cleaner through it but I had a sneaky suspicion that this problem and the dancing drawer might be linked.

Carl.

Re:

My old Denon does the same 'tray won't stay open' thing. It used to be intermittant but now does it every time. Been like that for years. If you're quick you can get the first disc out and the second one in during a single opening cycle. Difficult when drunk though.

It might be that the eject mechanism needs a clean.
So much drag that it thinks that something is in the way.

I know my father in laws CD player benefited from a clean (and it had the same issue)

Re:

My pioneer dv-s737 does the same thing with the draw, though not every time, makes changing discs a game.
I suspect its the eject switch that is sensitive.

A clean and dust removal may do wonders though.

Back