For those who can and cannot play a guitar...

grumpycommuter":2thns3tc said:
Be prepared to pop your trusty axe in the loft because you may well give up. This girl can play....

Steve Vai - Paganini 5th Caprice (Crossroads) - c…: http://youtu.be/_tXuYLc6rIg
I have to say, I loved Vai's and Cooder's geeetaaar playing in that film.

Always enjoyed Lifeson on the guitar, too.

Neil":1tsysh7x said:
grumpycommuter":1tsysh7x said:
Be prepared to pop your trusty axe in the loft because you may well give up. This girl can play....

Steve Vai - Paganini 5th Caprice (Crossroads) - c…: http://youtu.be/_tXuYLc6rIg
I have to say, I loved Vai's and Cooder's geeetaaar playing in that film.

Always enjoyed Lifeson on the guitar, too.

Yes, the film in which Vai announced his arrival to the world. As soon as I saw it I wanted to play like that, sadly not a chance :LOL: The Paris, Texas soundtrack still brings a lump to the throat.

There are any number of these wizz kids out on Youtube and all. Vai is a pretty soulless player given his background. His best work has been under the thumb of Zappa and Roth. I have seen him numerous times, and am always amazed how spotty and male his audience are. You can only wow so often at over effected tones containing numerous wanky arpeggios and gimmicky playing.

For a serious guitar player with a sense of humour and a bit of soul see Paul Gilbert.

I can strum a few chords but thats about the sum of it :?
Took me a while to realize i was really only tormenting the people i knew so stopped.
Never looked back ;) :LOL:

highlandsflyer":27turq6e said:
There are any number of these wizz kids out on Youtube and all. Vai is a pretty soulless player given his background. His best work has been under the thumb of Zappa and Roth. I have seen him numerous times, and am always amazed how spotty and male his audience are. You can only wow so often at over effected tones containing numerous wanky arpeggios and gimmicky playing.

For a serious guitar player with a sense of humour and a bit of soul see Paul Gilbert.

Too young to remember his Zappa days! Legend has it that fans would bring sheet music to Zappa gigs for him to sight read. This young woman is classically trained apparently. It will be interesting to see how her playing matures.

Vai transcribed some of Zappa's more extreme noodling, and was hired because he could play just about anything Zappa could imagine but could not necessarily play himself.

He is a stunning technician, but for me it was with Roth that he really shone out.

None of his solo work works for me, he is no songwriter.

The internet has certainly encouraged a lot of outrageously technically gifted players to develop rapidly and put their shizzle out there, but I feel there is a certain lack of creativity in a lot of what is going on.

To be honest, you could spend six months training and achieve a lot more than you think on the guitar, but we would never have had the likes of The Clash, U2, Velvet Underground or Hawkwind were people to be purely focussed on technical playing.

highlandsflyer":77r69bj7 said:
Vai is a pretty soulless player given his background.
I do get what you mean - there's a few guitarists of that ilk, that come across as all skill, no feel.

However, for the film Crossroads, I thought he did a decent job, given he was sharing guitar duties with Cooder - who I think was a good foil for the comparison of styles. Britney was rubbbiiish, though...

His best work has been under the thumb of Zappa and Roth.
Thought his work with Roth was good - almost always seemed a bit of a promo vid / album for his rock guitar playing at times, though.

You can only wow so often at over effected tones containing numerous wanky arpeggios and gimmicky playing.
Hey, I play the piano... and for about 8 years of my 10 years being taught / tutored, "classically" trained. I'm no stranger to wanky scales and arpeggios!

Back