Eurostar Privatisation. Why?

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Why on earth are we yet again looking at selling off a profitable asset?

I can understand the logic of selling off liabilities but this business makes good money.

Seems the only investment in British industry these days comes from abroad.

Dog-whistle politics for the right wing of the Conservative Party I suspect. If Cameron isn't worried about losing some support to UKIP then he ought to... age 60+ little Englanders who still want a return to Thatcher.:facepalm:

Re:

Because a Government should be running a country, not a service industry.

A train to Paris is hardly an essential public service is it?

Re: Re:

jonnugget69":2r58cj56 said:
Because a Government should be running a country, not a service industry.

A train to Paris is hardly an essential public service is it?
Then why did it need public funds to support it / prop it up?

If up to now, the public purse has provided for it, then why shouldn't the government reap some rewards on an ongoing basis, to offset the huge debt, and the (in effect) cost to the taxpayer of facilitating it?

Yes, they may get some money out of it by selling off their interest, but why shouldn't the country profit from the public purse facilitating this? Isn't that supposed to be how it works? Take on some risk, then reap some reward? If the government has so much debt to resolve, then wouldn't it be better to get the most prudent long-term return?

How many of these sell-offs / privatisations have resulted in a shitty end of the stick for the public purse that supported / sustained it, whilst we just let them off the hook for the principle of free enterprise?

Yes, I get, it's not quite the short-term headline and impressive return, but what if it would be better for the public finances in the longer (ie not election motivated) term.

Some good points well made.
There is also a debt mountain to pay down, because at the moment we still have a budget deficit so that's still getting bigger.

Perhaps the judgement of the government is that a lump of money can be put to better use now than incrementally over the next 20 years or so. Invest it now in other projects that boost the economy right now.

jonnugget69":29baokvb said:
Some good points well made.
There is also a debt mountain to pay down, because at the moment we still have a budget deficit so that's still getting bigger.

Perhaps the judgement of the government is that a lump of money can be put to better use now than incrementally over the next 20 years or so. Invest it now in other projects that boost the economy right now.
Given successive governments in recent times, and their form with privatisation, what would you say is more believable? That they are genuinely interested in the most fiscally sensible, long-term prospect, or they're more interest in looking good on a short-term, election window perspective.

I've long been convinced that the moment most people show intent for political office, the reward should be a bullet to the brain. The problem with politics, is the people drawn to do it.

Absolutely Neil.

Why on earth sell off a profitable asset, more than covering any assumed interest based on notions of national debt?

Why not let it feed in the economy much more over time than a quick sale will realise?

Daftness.

Re:

Know doubt it will be sold off cheap like the post office to a bunch of conservative fat cats :|
I believe i am right in saying that it has only recently become profitable making the idea of selling it now even more laughable!!!!

Latest posts

Back