Longboard skateboards - any advice/opinions?

grahame

Senior Retro Guru
I know I'm going to end up looking like a berk, but I quite fancy getting a longboard to tool around town on/commute to campus on. But I'm also a cheapskate (see what I did there?), so I want to do it on a reasonable budget.

So, what boards to other retrobikers own/have experience of/want to slag off for no good reason?

I've seen the 40" board offered by Two Bare Feet at just under £50. Is it OK? What others should I look at?

Re:

Not ridden a skateboard for a few years, but I did have a go on a longboard back in about 2001.

Two of the most important things are the trucks and the wheels/bearings.

Trucks need to turn well, for obvious reasons. Look for ones from a major brand like Independent or Thunder. The ones on the Two Bare Feet Boards look like sh*te to me. They don't even look straight in the photos!

Wheels should probably be quite soft for a longboard - Ithink O'J ays was the standard brand a few years ago. Good bearings will roll better and save you energy from pushing. Again, a good brand like Powell is worth the extra money.

You're best off going to a proper skaetshop really, they will have better quality gear and be able to give you decent advice. Bit like buying a bike from a proper LBS, really :D

grahame":359g3scx said:
I know I'm going to end up looking like a berk, but I quite fancy getting a longboard to tool around town on/commute to campus on.

Dude... You're the dean of Christ's College, for, well the obvious person's sake. Show some dignity - at least geta scooter or a bmx!

Got a Sector 9 bamboo pintail. Love a cruise. Talk to Mark at Carve Board Sports. His shop closed, but he still does deals through his Facebook Page

aint downhilled for years, we never got anything special, just old santa cruz boards etc. wouldnt mind something to leave in my staffroom for blasting .......sorry, communting around on. my daughters at college nursary and it would be ace to share the rid through the empty carparks!!!

looks on ebay for a bargain

Back