commuting front light

bojangle

Retro Guru
Been trying to find a decent web site that has tested some commuting bike lights, but can't seem to get any answers.

So looking for some help.

I want a front light, must have built in batteries, waterproof! ( you would be amazed how many lights have died on me due to water ingress!) bright enough to be seen and bright enough to see the road in front of me but I will be riding on mainly street lit roads A roads. I have a million lux light for off road use but want something simple for getting to work so i dont have to keep swapping lights.

Re:

Something that works well for a lot of people is to buy cheap non-bike specific lights off ebay - the black cylinder with a screw thread kind. You can get 2 or 3 for a tenner. If they're not water resistant enough, just an o-ring and silicone grease or ptfe plumbers tape to the thread. You could always put self-amalamating tape over the outside too. You can pick up cheap brackets too.

The advantage over most bike lights is that they are cheap, and the water vulnerability is limited to that single easily-tweaked screw thread.

(Try to avoid lights with zoom heads: they have an extra in for water, and the beam will probably have dark rings in.)

Re:

Road.cc has a bike light beam shot comparison tool, although some of their reviewers often seem to like dazzling (illegal on roads, in other words) lights.

Have you considered dynamo lighting? I was skeptical but it works so far.

Re: Re:

mjray":3e1ngh1c said:
Road.cc has a bike light beam shot comparison tool, although some of their reviewers often seem to like dazzling (illegal on roads, in other words) lights.

Have you considered dynamo lighting? I was skeptical but it works so far.

What is road.cc?

I bought one of the Planet X Phaart "Dark Star" lights.

Stupid name aside, it's a brilliant little light for a fiver.

I use it with a torch thats cable tied to my helmet for offroading, and it's enough for pitch black lanes. Not used it in rain yet, but it's a good screw thread.

For the best reliability, I have found the Shimano dynohub and a Busch & Muller headlight is the most reliable in any weather. But it's a bit of an outlay.

I've bought several of the cheapie LED / torch type lights before now - and they've always been reasonably good - especially for the cost. Can't really claim to have used them in all weathers, though.

I've got a Cateye EL-540 (mine is the non-rechargeable version), that was given to me as a present, that I have to say is thoroughly decent, and is really aimed at being a commuting light. Not the lightest, nor the cheapest - but then I didn't buy it, and having family in China, it was bought there, and I think they're cheaper over there, than here.

Probably not as well suited to off-road, but for on-road use, it's excellent, even in the low setting.

chris667":qon9ui7x said:
I bought one of the Planet X Phaart "Dark Star" lights.

..In space, no one can hear you..

Re protection against rain and water, for quality non-bike lights it's standard for makers to provide an IPX rating. These work like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Understanding ... 511/g.html

IPX-0 No special protection

IPX-1 Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10

minutes. Unit is placed in its normal operating position.

IPX-2 Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees - Same as

IPX-1 but unit is tested in 4 fixed positions - tilted 15 degrees in each direction from normal

operating position.

IPX-3 Protected against spraying water - Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10

liters/min at a pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min.

IPX-4 Protected against splashing water - Same as IPX-3 but water is sprayed at all angles.

IPX-5 Protected against water jets - Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow

rate of 12.5 liters/min at a pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

IPX-6 Protected against heavy seas - Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow

rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

IPX-7 Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

IPX-8 Protected against water submersion - The equipment is suitable for continual submersion

I think all Fenixes, for example, are IPX7.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Solarstorm x2 with the waterproof battery option from fleabay, £20, more than bright enough (will dump from a great height on a handle bar full of £5 LED torches) and we used them on the 12hr lawnmower race over the summer of which about 2 hours was very wet (when the tail end of the hurricane hit the UK) and they both survived fine.

Carl.

Back