GPS Cycle Watches

Giom6

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Has anybody got one? Are they any good?

I've been looking to get one for riding and running but not sure whats good to get.

The Polar ones look good and get good reviews but would a Garmin be better – or non at all :?

Gio

Surely somebody will be along shortly, and highly recommend smart-watches or the iWatch?

Are you after route recording and HRM monitoring?

Re:

Ideally yes. I got on of those apps on my phone but I just found that it didn't record my route and its was completely out. I'd be out for two hours and it said that I'd gone about 500 metres!!!

Saying that, the pub is about that far away... :)

Re:

Smartphones and apps vary and of course it depends where you keep it. As with anything GPS/GLONASS it needs to be as high as possible and not have you in the way.

But what do you need it to do?

My brother tried a pebble thing but found it useless.

Plenty use the garmin types for just logging data. To be honest you can get cheap pendrive style for that if you don't want instant feedback.

Re:

I picked up a Garmin Forerunner 305 from eBay, perhaps two Years ago, quite cheap at the time.
I use it for biking, running, skiing.
I upload the data to Garmin Training Centre and Strava.
It works very well for me.
I have found it very useful, there must be a more modern version available now.
I can't comment on other brands, only had a Polar heart rate monitor in the past, which was ok.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2cookhd3 said:
Smartphones and apps vary and of course it depends where you keep it. As with anything GPS/GLONASS it needs to be as high as possible and not have you in the way.

But what do you need it to do?

My brother tried a pebble thing but found it useless.

Plenty use the garmin types for just logging data. To be honest you can get cheap pendrive style for that if you don't want instant feedback.

I basically want it so I can train and start doing some dualathlons. I also want it for general ride data so I can plot my rides and distances and try and improve my cadence and speed.

I've looked at the Garmin ones and they seem ok. I'll do a bit more research and see if there any any tests reviews anywhere...

i have a garmin fr610, works well , well apart from usually taking 15 years to lock onto a sattellite or two...
It will connect to most of the sensor thingys, so you can get speed/cadance and HR.
Plus as it is a few years old now and replaced by the FR620 they are cheaper now. (Couldn't believe the 620 didn't come with cycling stuff out of the box).

Also it nearly looks like a normal watch not something from star trek (not that star trek is bad)...

Only thing bad about it was it was hard to read while riding, so I got a bar mount for it, much better... but then just got an edge 1000 anyway.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/04/garm ... eview.html

Back