Claiming money back for tools at work

bojangle

Retro Guru
I have had a quick look into the governments website about claiming money back or getting a re-bate in regards to if you have to buy your own tools to be able to do your job. Also a re-bate if you have to wash your own work clothes/uniform. It looks like you have to sign up for self assessment, but i prefer to be under the radar when it comes to taxes, just pay what i have to pay and shut up!!

As a panel beater/sprayer i have spent a lot of money on tools that work would not pay for, but i NEED to do my job.

Has anyone looked into this or been successful with getting some money out of the government?

Letter to HMRC stating that you want to claim relief on the tools you've purchased, I assume you're salaried and have receipts for the tools?

They should write back telling you the shizzle/process.

bojangle":3w292vs1 said:
As a panel beater/sprayer i have spent a lot of money on tools that work would not pay for, but i NEED to do my job.

Im bloody sure I wouldn't be sticking my hand in my pocket for them to then make money from the tools, the job would sit till they got the tools (they'll never get the tool/tools if some other bugger is providing them) beside "THEY" WILL get tax relief on the cost of the tools.

Sorry for the rant Ive not had breakfast yet :oops:

Re:

Yeah Im a trades man my self, I dont mind buying my own smaller hand tools but nothing major that would stop a job from going ahead.

Re:

it depends on the 'tool'. My last two spray guns cost £850 combined, i would argue i 'needed' to spend that much to get the quality of gun i wanted but work would say that a £150 gun would do the same job!! As far as i'm concerned if i can save the company money then i can ask for a pay rise with justification!

Re:

There's 'no way' I'd pay out £850 for my work place to reap the benefits I can understand where your coming from and I doubt whether your work realizes the asset they have in you. BTW be careful if and when you move on keep a close eye on your guns.

Don't forget if you use your car travelling to and from wrk, 44 pence a mile , even if your paye,,,not self employed ,, as for supplying tools to do your job that a company is employing you to do ,,big no go feller if they want shit results and quality due to their tight pockets live with it feller and spend your money on bikes!!!!

sparkiegaz":1ob84qor said:
Don't forget if you use your car travelling to and from wrk, 44 pence a mile , even if your paye,,,not self employed ,,!!

Tell me more :?:

unit3":24z7urw2 said:
sparkiegaz":24z7urw2 said:
Don't forget if you use your car travelling to and from wrk, 44 pence a mile , even if your paye,,,not self employed ,,!!

Tell me more :?:

Its not true, you 'might' manage work place to a customer but not home to/from work.

Back