Autosol - and now for something completely different!

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've seen the aforementioned metal polish crop up in a good few RB posts thanks to the wonders it works on tired old bike components.

In another sphere altogether, we use it in the labs at work to clean the delicate stainless steel parts used in the ion optics of mass spectrometers! It's the best thing for the job (the alternatives are too harsh and cause surface pitting which leads to poor analysis results), and despite only costing about 4 quid a tube helps keep £7500 or so worth of instrument in peak* condition! :)

David

*No mass spectrometry pun intended ;)

Re:

It can be a right PITA keeping those mass spectometers in nearly NOS nick can't it . :roll: :LOL:

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":j5pt9bpt said:
It can be a right PITA keeping those mass spectometers in nearly NOS nick can't it . :roll: :LOL:

Well, it does get used on a regular basis. It's not one of those "laboratory queen" jobs that just sits on a bench looking shiny but either never actually does anything or only gets operated if the weather's good enough. ;)

David

David B":kf60zmn1 said:
Mike Muz 67":kf60zmn1 said:

Well, it does get used on a regular basis. It's not one of those "laboratory queen" jobs that just sits on a bench looking shiny but either never actually does anything or only gets operated if the weather's good enough. ;)

David

Phew , that's a relief . I thought for a moment you were going to post some photos of it , done in a studio , or leaning against a wall , on some nice laminate flooring by the stairs .

Mike

Mike Muz 67":3jcu5tzg said:
David B":3jcu5tzg said:
Mike Muz 67":3jcu5tzg said:

David

Phew , that's a relief . I thought for a moment you were going to post some photos of it , done in a studio , or leaning against a wall , on some nice laminate flooring by the stairs .

Mike

Nah, but if it does get superseded by something better and put up for sale, it'll get photographed in someone's kitchen with the washing machine just in shot. In the world of secondhand ads, them's the rules. ;)

David

Re:

And what of the Autosol ? Sold on separately , kept as original/catalogue spec ?
Or just jumping ship with the newer model , Rod Stewart style ? :LOL:

Mike

Mike Muz 67":3veslx5l said:
And what of the Autosol ? Sold on separately , kept as original/catalogue spec ?
Or just jumping ship with the newer model , Rod Stewart style ? :LOL:

Mike

"Rod Stewart style"? Now there's an oxymoron if ever I heard one. :)

David

Can i ask how you got on using Tcut branded metal polish.
Im an autosol user and bought the Tcut one to try it out but its a liquid more than a paste and not as abrasive to my mind :?

Back