Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Ok, I've gone and put coolant in my brake/clutch fluid reservoir :facepalm:

It was probably less than two tablespoons full and I'm wondering what the implications are?

highlandsflyer":1nd8e1lz said:
I would flush the system completely. Have you driven it since?

I haven't yet but I have to drive it tomorrow....

Get in with something to suck out as much as you can from the reservoir, then plan on a full flush. I wouldn't plan on driving it until you have done that. Oops!

Re:

I was going to put a picture of an exploding car here for laughs, but this is a serious problem.

I've done a quick Google search to confirm my suspicions, and coolant will indeed destroy all the rubber seals in the brake system.
If coolant made it into the brake system and the rubber seals do get damaged, you're looking at potential brake failure later on, usually when you need to brake hard because that's when the most pressure is being applied to the brakes.

Grab a syringe and pull almost everything (including the oil) out of those reservoirs ASAP. Luckily the coolant should be less dense than the actual brake fluid, so it should float on top.

I'd also suggest getting in touch with your local mechanic or garage to check if anything made it into the brake and clutch system.
When I say "get in touch with your local mechanic", that doesn't mean "drive there". By all means DON'T drive the car. Don't even push the brake or clutch pedal. Don't even start the engine without your mechanic's approval, the vibrations could cause the fluids to move around just enough to reach and damage the rubbers in the brake and clutch master cylinders.
If the mechanic reckons the car needs to be looked at, let him come to you, if necessary with a tow truck.

EDIT : Just read that you have to drive it tomorrow. I'd strongly advise against that.

Re:

I realised straight away as the brake fluid reservoir was full to the top and the coolant came spilling out over the top as soon as I poured it in (I didn't notice it was full as I couldn't see any pink coolant!). I've removed the small amount of coolant sat on the top of the brake fluid (less than a teaspoon) and there is no hint of pink in the top of the reservoir. Thoughts? I am such a halfwit :facepalm:

As has been said, what ever you do, do not press the brake or start the engine.

Try this in a glass; pour in some of your coolant and some brake fluid. See if they mix or separate, and if they separate, which floats and which sinks.

*IF* the coolant does float, I'd fill the reservoir to the brim to displace the coolant, and soak it up with a cloth. then remove excess brake fluid from the reservoir.

Either way, get advice from a garage, and do not drive it tomorrow.

Re:

Thanks for the advice guys. Decision made, car staying where it is and will drive the wife's tomorrow! I've not started it since I did it so will call the local garage tomorrow for further advice. I don't know sh1t about cars and this one's a company vehicle so everything just gets done when it needs done!

Back