Does anyone work in the bike industry?

The_Grouch

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
So does anyone on here work for Orange or Kona, or Hope or USE or someone like that? Or even a local bike shop?

I'm job hunting right now, and constantly wading through pages of shit on job websites is getting me down, so I've decided to try hitting companies that I think I'd like to work for. Unsurprisingly Ford don't want me, and there is nothing going at Nintendo, so I'm thinking the bicycle industry must have a place for me, right?

Re:

Depends what skills you have and in what part of the industry you want to work, but it's always got to be worth a shot, and a well presented letter (e-mail) complete with an up to date CV to the MD or HR dept is always worth a shot.

I used to work for a family owned manufacturer where the boss would often hire people who had contacted him directly. He figured that if they'd got the drive and nerve to get something to him, they would do the same with potential customers.

I managed to hold down a job in a busy cycle hire/ sales/ repair shop for about 6 months before it spat me out.

The internal politics still amazes me. The level of professionalism expected against the absurdly low pay makes you wonder how anyone can stand it,

Re:

I managed to hold down a job in a busy cycle hire/ sales/ repair shop for about 6 months before it spat me out.

The internal politics still amazes me. The level of professionalism expected against the absurdly low pay makes you wonder how anyone can stand it,

There you go with that sunny disposition again. :p

legrandefromage":3qxzonuj said:
The internal politics still amazes me.
What makes you think that this is confined to the cycle industry.

I worked for a major German manufacturer for 9 months. Had everyone spent as much time doing their jobs as they did politicking and plotting against those around them, I reckon the companies turnover would have been up by about 30%. :facepalm:

It does not have to be as dismal as some say.

Back in 2007 after many unsuccessful attempts to find employment in my field of news photography, I started looking at my cycling hobby as a potential new career. Since I was good at Ebay I hit up all of the local shops to see if I could get a commission based job to sell their excess inventory. It worked, soon I was not only selling online but had a part time sales position and steady employment. After a year I received an offer from one of the shop's suppliers, Dahon folding bikes, to be an product rep and as fate would have it an offer to be the sole staff photographer at my hometown paper. Well I chose to return to the news business but I think the Dahon job would have been an excellent career as well.

Steven

You want politics then come and work with me. An entire cadre of senior ranks and civilian management who's sole job it is to make it as difficult as possible for the real workers to do their job.

legrandefromage":ctm5devv said:

Same in the meat trade
Lack of trade union with a spine ;)

Re:

if you can stand the heat etc etc,

11 years working for a bike shop,

Ups , downs, smiles, arguments.

same as any trade.

go for it and see where it takes you.

Well, no not really. I enjoyed my time there but one person didn't and managed to get me the sack.

I found this out on Sunday as I was up at grafham sheltering from a thunderstorm.

Only two of the original staff remain and the whole shop has been far more relaxed since that chap left.

Back