seeking the advice of someone who knows about car insurance

SEANSTEPHENS

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Okay so I haven't yet passed my driving test but I'm looking to buy a cheap car so that its ready to drive when I pass. Problem is I can't declare it offroad for the time being because I have nowhere to store it (no garage,driveway etc) so It would need to stay on the road. Seeing as insurance for a 1litre/1000cc costs around 2 grand, I can't afford to insure a car that I'm not even driving. My question is: what's the chance that my car could get seized if parked on the residential backstreet that I live on? I heard that its the tax that gets checked because if you have tax then you should have insurance as well (the car has around 9month tax)

Thanks in advance

Don't do it, if for no other reason than if somebody bashes or steals it...while it is relatively safe on a drive, over the years I have had three cars seriously damaged on the street.

If you aren't driving it get a friend to insure it as the sole driver. Ask an over-50 with long NCB and it will probably only cost £200 or so pa.

Re:

You still need insurance.
Anything else and you are asking how to break the law in a public forum.

As for changes of being caught breaking the law...

hamster":126jshcg said:
Don't do it, if for no other reason than if somebody bashes or steals it...while it is relatively safe on a drive, over the years I have had three cars seriously damaged on the street.

If you aren't driving it get a friend to insure it as the sole driver. Ask an over-50 with long NCB and it will probably only cost £200 or so pa.

This.
Unless it is SORN (so needs to be kept off the road including pavements etc) you need insurance. Even if it's just TPFT. But if it's an old banger try the above on Comprehensive insurance with an excess higher than the value of the car. Nine times out of ten it lowers the premium.

Personally, I would avoid the hassle and unnecessary expense, and just buy a car once you've passed. You've gone this long without a car and survived, another 24h after the L plates are in the bin won't hurt!

2000 for ouch. get a family member to insure it or wait till you pass or get a cheaper car to insure worst case would be temp insurance

You dont want to know that we pay about £400 fully comp for two cars do you?

No?

Ok, then as above, if you have an older friend or family member, just pay them to add it to their insurance or ask them to open a temporary policy or something like that with you as a named driver.

If you really want to have a car before your test.

As for cars, go for Honda or Suzuki, they appear to be lower to insure. I was looking at a Honda Civic VTR last year and it came in cheaper than a diesel Clio by a long way.

Get an insurance black box fitted too, that will drop the premium for yourself.

nissan micras are super cheap to insure wifes had passed for 5 months and shes was £250 fully comp but shes old and a girl

SEANSTEPHENS":327v07yb said:
Okay so I haven't yet passed my driving test but I'm looking to buy a cheap car so that its ready to drive when I pass. Problem is I can't declare it offroad for the time being because I have nowhere to store it (no garage,driveway etc) so It would need to stay on the road. Seeing as insurance for a 1litre/1000cc costs around 2 grand, I can't afford to insure a car that I'm not even driving. My question is: what's the chance that my car could get seized if parked on the residential backstreet that I live on? I heard that its the tax that gets checked because if you have tax then you should have insurance as well (the car has around 9month tax)

Thanks in advance
SORN counts for insurance as well as tax, now.

I think the fines are sent out automatically now, not SORN'd and not insured, then in a very Geldof-esque manner "Give us your fecking money!"

Back