Looking for a car, possibly a 4x4?

Emoco

Retro Guru
Living in London for almost a year now having grown up in North Wales, I'm getting sick of spending my weekends in parks surrounded by a city. I miss being the middle of nowhere (and I don't mean some dodgy estate).

I'm 24, almost 25 (when my insurance should get cheaper) driven since I was 18.

Last car was a 306 TD that I loved but someone ripped the door off and I claimed for it and got screwed over. Wish I'd have just bought another door.

Anyway, I won't be using this to drive around London. I live in N6 and maybe just use it to go to Ikea or the supermarket every now and then but I'll never go into central London.

I want something I can shove a couple of bikes in, a tent, maybe a portable BBQ. Something I could even sleep in fairly comfortably with the seats back if need be. Something reliable, cheap to run, can handle hills, and not too expensive.

The Pajero advertised on here was quite nice but I'm still struggling to find a definate car tax price for it.

I'd probably be looking to spend around a grand, maybe a bit more.

Is a 4x4 overkill?

A 4x4 is over kill unless you are a farmer.

Have you considered a estate car, A Focus or Mondeo Estate (not the most popular cars on here) but loads of space in the back. and good prices can be had ! ! !

I do all you want yours to do with a Saab 9000. I can fold down the seats and sleep in it (I am 6'3"!), chuck 2 bikes in the back without removing the wheels. They also come in lots of different engine flavours from 2.0litre injected to 2.3 turbocharged (mine :cool: ). Mine's at 180K miles and showing no signs of giving up. They rarely rust. I even get 42 to the gallon out of mine at 70mph!!

Insurance may be an issue - depends what you go for.

But they are dirt cheap to buy. Mine was £800 last year. I've never spent more than £1000 and I've had 4 now over the years all happy to go to 200k miles.

Just a thought.

TheGreenRabbit":2yccxlh9 said:
A 4x4 is over kill unless you are a farmer.

I don't understand the big deal about 4x4. How come no-one told Jez that a TVR is overkill unless you're a racing driver? Public hysteria has a lot to answer for.

If you fancy one, get one. It should be pretty cheap to buy - road tax will be about £200.

It has a lot to do with pedestrian safety as well as emissions Dave. Assuming that they're sticking to the speed limit, you're more likely to survive if Jez hits you in his TVR than Emoco in his Chelsea tractor.

Anyway, a 4wd drive car is overkill on the roads isn't it? Horses for courses, you wouldn't try to take the TVR off road would you? 4x4s for the farmers and bridleways; Sports cars and 'regular' motors for the roads.

also, a common misconception is that a 4 x 4 is a 'safer' vehicle to be in when you have a crash. This isn't necessarily the case - just look at the NCAP ratings...

orange71":3nqrc36e said:
I do all you want yours to do with a Saab 9000. I can fold down the seats and sleep in it (I am 6'3"!), chuck 2 bikes in the back without removing the wheels. They also come in lots of different engine flavours from 2.0litre injected to 2.3 turbocharged (mine :cool: ). Mine's at 180K miles and showing no signs of giving up. They rarely rust. I even get 42 to the gallon out of mine at 70mph!!

Quality :D ..... I've got an Abbott racing one of these as a courtesy car whilst my 9-5 is in for repair. Visually knackered but still feels mechanically strong. Makes me wish I'd never given away my T16s now :( :( :(

Russell":1c7b89be said:
It has a lot to do with pedestrian safety

If that was a real concern then maybe cars shouldn't be used at all? What makes being hit and killed by a car 'acceptable'?

orange71":ndsqz956 said:
also, a common misconception is that a 4 x 4 is a 'safer' vehicle to be in when you have a crash. This isn't necessarily the case - just look at the NCAP ratings...

Where I work we have an area called 'the boneyard'. This is where all those NCAP crash vehicles are stored. These vehicles have been run into a solid block at 40mph ( considered the speed of impact in a motorway crash after you've locked the brakes up at hit the back of a traffic jam)
More people should see these things firsthand when they feel safely 'cocooned' in their car/van.
That Transit up your arse at 70mph?.... where do you think the engine goes in one of those impacts?

More people should cycle/ ride a horse/ motorbike or walk to understand how vunerable other road users are. It's all in consideration for others.

Okay... rant over. If you're buying new, the Ford Kuga 4x4 is going to be a sought after (pedestrian friendlier :shock: )... if you read the current reviews. Used?....Avoid early freelanders like the plague though, .... a money pit of head gasket worries :(

Back