eBay!!!!

alanf

Senior Retro Guru
So a seller opens a case against me for item not as described! Apparently the fact that I didn't state the screw plates for the cleats were not included in the sale, instead of contacting me he starts a case which means the funds are snatched back! This morning I get a message saying case closed and buyer has been refunded yet I'm still waiting for the item to be returned!
So after speaking to eBay it seems it's a no fault case and we are both refunded and he keeps the shoes.... Now he wants me to pay for the cleat plates..... Hell will freeze over before that happens, he can buy them out his refund :)

alanf":z5hjwleb said:
So a seller opens a case against me for item not as described! Apparently the fact that I didn't state the screw plates for the cleats were not included in the sale, instead of contacting me he starts a case which means the funds are snatched back! This morning I get a message saying case closed and buyer has been refunded yet I'm still waiting for the item to be returned!
So after speaking to eBay it seems it's a no fault case and we are both refunded and he keeps the shoes.... Now he wants me to pay for the cleat plates..... Hell will freeze over before that happens, he can buy them out his refund :)
ebay virtually encourages people to open cases when contacting sellers - you're presented with a list of options - unless you make an effort (choosing "other" or something like that, just to send a message), selecting one that actually fits what you're contacting them about will in many situations open a case.

I normally choose the option to message somebody and ask them a general question, if I've got something I'm not happy with, before letting their contact system open a case for you.

Re:

I flippin hate E-Bay - well, maybe not E-bay but certainly some of the dickheads who use it. How is it that if someone went into a shop and did the same thing there as they have done to Alan, this would be called theft yet they get away with it on E-Bay?

We sold a second hand pair of Doc Martens - they were advertised as second hand with lots of photos although they were in absolutely beautiful condition. It took two weeks to get the money out of the buyer (and yes we had to get E-Bay involved) and the boots were in the post the morning after she paid. She paid on the Sunday and did admit she received the boots on the Wednesday.
The cheeky bitch then gave us poor feed back for being slow in sending the boots AND complained that the bliddy laces were second hand. Honest to god, you could not make it up.

I'll bet every honest person who has dealt on E-bay will have some sort of horror story. Ours include selling a motorcycle and the buyer then trying to pay £500 less than they bid; selling my car TWICE - the first buyer then admitted they were in New Zealand and the second buyer just didn't ever get in contact having had the successful bid.
Etc etc etc.

It just all leaves such a bad taste in your mouth and I don't think we will use E-bay again.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Re:

I buy on ebay occasionally, don't think I would sell on there again now though, unless it was something that needed a wide and varied audience, like the Campag BB I got a good price for fairly recently. Still, reckon the overall fees from ebay and Pay Pal lost me 20% in total.

I did buy some pedals recently that weren't as described, but I purposely made every effort to sort it with the buyer without getting a dispute involved, and it worked out amicably and left us both happy. I suppose it's just most/some buyers aren't that honest, sign of the times.... :(

I've sold quite a bit on ebay just recently. I think I've been lucky and the buyers of some very high value but old car stereo equipment have been sympathetic but on the way there were some idiots trying to scam me into selling cheap or something.

Best advice was to ban those idiots from bidding. I only sell stuff that I'm 100% confident in and make sure I hold the hand of the buyer every step of the way.

Had a lot of hassle when selling cars though.

Re:

My wife does a lot of buying and selling on ebay, we have many good stories, but increasing numbers of bad stories with people claiming things didn't arrive, or sending items in terrible condition described as 'worn once'.

I am sure there are tens of thousands of honest people using ebay, but there does seem to be an increasing number of users who have switched on to the fact it is now very easy to claim an item never arrived and get your money back. Unless it is very cheap, my wife sends everything tracked / signed for or both. She is also using other similar buy/sell web sites more and more, as it is a lot less hassle, and cheaper.

Re:

it gets better! after looking at his feedback, it seems he went out and bought a set of cleat plates on the very same day he received the shoes and opened the case!
he has messaged me several times since the case was closed suggesting several ways in which we can solve the issue, mainly it involves me fronting up for the cleat plates or splitting the costs, the best offer so far was when he suggested that he refunds me for the shoes and keeps back the cost of the plates :facepalm: ...... I should have took his offer :twisted: but would have made me just as bad as him, in the end I had to set him right and inform him that he was a winner all round as he got his cash back and gets to keeps the shoes as the idiots at ebay have refunded us both!

Back