BBC Poll: 'roads too dangerous for cycling'

That's quite a clever result, seeing as about half of cyclists totter round the carriageway, flat footed on the pedals, with dark clothing and no lights at night, texting as they go.

You make your own luck.

I found something happened in recent times (by that I mean around mid 90s onwards).

Whether it was the perfect storm of the fuel price escalator ramping up, meeting the prevalence of GATSOs, with more and more "road calming" measures implemented, plus burgeoning car ownership - I suspect there isn't one singular factor.

Something definitely changed - I cycled on road all the way through the 80s, and most of the 90s. And these days, it's a much more hostile environment - in terms of attitudes - there's an increasing hostility that just didn't seem to be around in earlier times.

Chopper1192":22l0qwmx said:
You make your own luck.
I'll tell that to my mate whom was mown down and killed whilst wearing a high-vis on a B-road.

Oh, and the driver couldn't be arsed to turn up for court, and got off with it.

I was referring to cycling at night with no lights or with attention distracted by texting. Read the whole post next time so you don't look so daft.

Chopper1192":2fgcqpjw said:
I was referring to cycling at night with no lights or with attention distracted by texting. Read the whole post next time so you don't look so daft.
I've re-read it and can't see anything mentioned about what you have said.

Ok, I'm daft? :facepalm:

Chopper1192":3luqpm51 said:
That's quite a clever result, seeing as about half of cyclists totter round the carriageway, flat footed on the pedals, with dark clothing and no lights at night, texting as they go.

You make your own luck.

Yes, you're daft, but I guess we all still love you. Where's the group hug smilies when you need it?

Re:

Roads are alot safer trails. They are much wider, much smoother, there are no roots, no rocks, far fewer holes, they aren't as steep and are much grippier even in the wet.

Re:

That's an interesting poll, given that in my experience as a driver, cyclist and horse rider, over 61% of the myopic morons who who come damn close to killing me on a regular basis are also aged over 65.

Chopper1192":24bp2hzx said:
Chopper1192":24bp2hzx said:

You make your own luck.

Yes, you're daft, but I guess we all still love you. Where's the group hug smilies when you need it?
Sorry, I'm not a mind reader. :(

Back