USB HDDs - All equal?

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I used to be ”with it” then they changed what “it” was now what im “with” isnt “it” and whats “it” seems weird and scary to me.

My TV has the option of collecting a USB HDD to record stuff, pause. TV etc.

The instructions don't state or recommend what sort to use, capacity or anything :|

Should a USB pen drive work or does it need to be a conventional HDD?

Help!

recognizable brand names will be better than Huang Fung Shiny happy USB fun stick from ebay for 50p (similar stereotype brand names available).

My TV also has this option which I have yet to explore. But then I have a SKY HD box found down the tip and reborn.

Re:

The important part is to have it formatted as the TV wants.

Check their info to find out... What TV model.

Check HUKD to see what deals have been found recently.

Higher grade (more expensive, of course) USB devices will have a higher transfer rate and should be able to write quicker (not 100% on the terminology). You might not be able to use all the functions (HD recording/playback) with a slower card.

There is an ongoing grumble with certain people who can't read the instructions on a go pro camera with this very issue. Apparently having to spend £30 quid on a large capacity, high speed memory card "isn't fair" when you've just dropped £300 on your high frame rate, HD action camera. A 3 dolla generic card that you might get with a cheap phone should be good enough..........

Just tried streaming 4OD from my phone to the telly and I get a polite message saying 'no, Channel 4 doesnt allow that.'

So, whats the ******* point of of it???

Thanks all.

The TV looks to prompt you to format the card when connecting up your chosen USB HDD.

Will have a look around for a higher speed drive over std.

Should 16gb be enough for a bit of recording etc?

Re:

He TV should have the minimum speeds it needs, but even the slow harddrives will record HD streams.

16GB?
Er you'll run out quick if you don't delete after views.

I'd grab a 250-500GB HDD backup drive from your favourite PC supplier and use that. My Panasonic TV won't accept storage below a certain level.

Back