Any one have an ipod nano first gen?

Re: Re:

That's fascinating, Xerxes, I'm sure. But this isn't about buying a new one, it's about getting one for free. So I don't see how your suggestion is relevant.

Besides which, the selling point on the nano is it's size. If features-for-the-money is the overriding decision, people would buy an iPod Touch for the same price. Hell, for less money, I just bought a second hand Powerbook and a new battery for it. Has a massive screen! Does loads of wizz bang things! But I'd look like a tit if I carried it around using it as the world's biggest mp3 player.

At any rate, might be worth checking the second hand shops. You'll probably find a few first gens for fourty or fifty quid. Exchange for a new one, put it on ebay, make a tidy profit and undermine a huge evil corporation at the same time. Fun for all the family and entirely legal.

Re:

That's fascinating, Xerxes, I'm sure. But this isn't about buying a new one, it's about getting one for free. So I don't see how your suggestion is relevant.

I realise that, I was just a bit shocked by how much they are new, seems rather a lot for what it is/does.

You can always buy apple products from abroad if you want them cheaper.
They are very good at looking after customers too.
If I break an iPad / iphone screen and if I'm lucky I can get it changed the same day at the apple store for a brand new one. It's not cheap at £129 though.
Compared to my Samsung Galaxy phone which was away for 2-3 weeks being 'fixed' and came back with noting done as apparently it was water damage. Only choice was to pay £350-400 (from memory) for a new phone.

Re: Re:

Bats":1h5fnsoe said:
But I'd look like a tit if I carried it around using it as the world's biggest mp3 player.

Probably no more so than the people (mainly tourists admittedly) who use Ipads as the world's most ridiculous cameras.

I actually quite like Apple stuff, but I'd never spend proper money on it. I got an Iphone 4 for nowt, and it's incredibly nice to use despite a sticky button and scratched screen. Apple are often despised for 'ripping off' consumers with form over function - but they wouldn't be able to if there weren't millions of desperately image-conscious consumers who fall for it. They're probably the same people who spunked money on the Nokia 8210 in the 90s, or the Motorola Razr in the 00s, when a boring and chunky Siemens or Ericsson did the job far better.

The "form over function" criticism has been out of date ever since they went all Dieter Rams. It's mostly pushed by geeks anyway, the sort who get all excited over installing something called a "custom rom" to their phone, or loudly claim that you can save 50p on an iMac by spending all day building a computer from parts.

For the most part I stick with Apple gear that's a few years old. By that point it's depreciated so much it costs peanuts, and I know it was screwed together well enough to survive the previous custodian. £94 for a laptop with a massive screen and a new battery, and it looks brand new. Style doesn't even come in to it for me.

Back