Should I stay or should I go?

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
nope, not a topic about the Clash.

I've been offered a new job.

The package is all areas is better than my current one: bit more cash, private health care, non-contributable pension, closer to home so I can cycle all year round (a BIG plus), shower at work so I can go for a run at lunchtime ...... but it is a banking software application that is just dull - columns of numbers - current position is the web for a well known brand of holiday resort, that is far more interesting and pretty.

Do I grab the money and put up with the potential dullness (although having said that, it is not hugely different from my previous job) or stay, maybe get increase in package and continue to look for a job with content I'm happy with? (or even move closer to work?)

I should say that I am looking to retire within 10-15 years so it is not a case of getting experience for the next job as my career is more or less done; I'm probably looking for an easy life and a bonus would be to accumulate as much cash as I can before finishing work.

Just wondering what you think. :?

Re:

Do it. It is a different industry and you may like it. I moved from government IT supply to Financial Services about 9 months back and I enjoy it.

Re: Shouold I stay or should I go?

Do it

They cycling home will be reward for dull days....

As I've got older I'm quite relishing the upside of dull. My enforced move to one of the sub-teams in CID is dull, but no shift work, slightly easier ride in, better parking if I drive, and my desk is 8 feet from the kettle. The minutes are dull, but far from arduous, and I seem a lot more chilled and less inclined to argue with The History Man about Che Guevara.

Provided the job seems reasonable secure and the firm Ian in good financial shape, then I say go for it.

Thanks to all for taking time to reply.

I stayed 19 years in my previous job until went to India March last year.

The pay was top notch (I was able to pay off mortgage and save up a bit, if I looked into it, I may be able to retire and live off that, but it would be frugal living).

It also fitted my lifestyle (new job is 2 buildings away) where I could cycle/run/walk and even *shock horror* drive to work, go for a run at lunchtime plus there is gym on the estate. TBH that is more important than the job itself, I kinda drift through live so work to live, not the other way round.

Where I work now is very relaxed, perhaps too much so, so is an very easy life; ofcourse there is no way to tell what this next job will be like. Also I feel indebted to my employer as they helped me out when I was in a bit of a fix in between jobs - it seems to be one hell of a lot easier to get a job when you are already in one.

Make the move. As long as the new job is secure.

But be careful, you could end up like chopper.

As Jason said as long as the job is secure.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 719

The History Man":2yc2k8dh said:

Wise words. When you're sat as close to the kettle as I am, then you become.everyone's tea making slave.

Chopper1192":3mpfo448 said:
The History Man":3mpfo448 said:

Wise words. When you're sat as close to the kettle as I am, then you become.everyone's tea making slave.

Coffee, white, 1 sugar please.
I'll get the biscuits.

Back