Disney Florida Holiday - pointers? I am home - update

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Good afternoon all,

In 3 weeks, my wife and 8 year old (by then) daughter are hearing to Orlando for a 2 week holiday. We have had flights and accomodation booked for a while but due to work and family stuff we have little else done in relation to the holiday. If anyone has any hints and tips, it would be appreciated, i have had a look on line and on a site called dibbs (or similar) there is a load of info but i can only describe it as info overload and i am easily confused.

I should add, we have not booked a car and are staying on International Drive and not a Disney hotel. I am resistent to booking a car but, if i have to, i will.

Thanks all, hope you have a great weekend (while i moan and cough in work!),

Richard

Re: Disney Florida Holiday - any pointers?

i would book a car, car hire is easy there as they are set up for fly drive and getting around is literally straight forward - grid system, very easy

there are a few toll roads to watch out for but no drama

you might get a deal on disney from your accomodation, and you can take a packed lunch in to save €€€ and use the smart pass system - contrary to popular mis-conception its doesn't cost anything extra!

loads of other parks, sea world etc, but it all adds up, but get in the spirit of it and its a great holiday

I have been told that shuttle buses are easy to get on and they stop at out hotel but i will think about the car again.

Re smart pass - what is that?

Richard

Re:

Get a car, you won't regret it, much more freedom ;)

Check out Universal Studios & Epcot Centre as well if you can, they're both great fun!!

Get a car. Florida is horrible without a car. You WILL regret not having one, and the driving is soooo easy. it's a car centric culture/area.

Do go on an airboat ride.

Avoid universal studios (unless you're desperate to see harry potter world, which IMO is the only part worth it)

Discovery cove is amazing, and grants you unlimited access to seaworld and their water park. Truely, an unforgettable experience. expensive, yes. But honestly, amazing.

Allow at least a full day for each of the disney parks, magic kingdom, MGM and epcot (maybe half a day for epcot?).

Drink, drink all the time. especially the little one. You will dehydrate in the heat, and time flies, so you'll not notice until you get a headache, and again, your daugter will suffer the most.

Florida/disney holidays are magical. I'm 35, and have no kids. Me and the wife love going there.

To recap; Car, Disney, Discovery cove, airboat, fluids. Awesome.

Oh, and shopping...

Ditto - definitely hire a car. Florida has some great places to visit but they are separated by miles upon miles of dull shabbiness and a thousand roadside advertising hoardings. The car lets you have a look at a map and just take off sideways somewhere.

International Drive has 3 things: Big theme parks, Tourist tat shops and places to eat. It's not particularly photogenic outside of the parks. Myself and my son got a little bored of the parks after 5 or 6 days so you'll probably want to wander further afield once you've done them.

Try not to punch any clowns.

I would.

I hate clowns.

Thanks all so far.

I see a theme here - get a car! I will give that more consideration.

Any advise regarding park tickets - when, where and what to get?

Richard

Mr History,

I am used to clowns - this country is full of them, check out our politicians to start with.

Richard

Back