Bloody cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.

swannymere

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Do you remember the old days before cycling became fashionable and you could ride the trails all day without seeing more than a couple of riders and certainly no muppets on Halfords full suspension specials falling off their bikes rather than riding through a puddle.
Just walked the dogs down the local decommissioned railway line, pull to the side and put the dogs on the lead every time a cyclist approaches and almost 50% (except kids and people on 'proper' bikes) fail to thank me or even say any form of greeting.
Bloody Lance, Bradley, Cav, Le Tour and the Olympics have a lot to answer for!

Rant over. :p

Re:

I go quite fast when I ride my bike along the disused railway but when I see dog walkers, young toddlers on bikes I slow down, ping on the bell and thanks them for stepping aside or holding their dogs.

I teach my kids the same :!:

Sadly there are 'fools' that don't :roll:

Re:

Having been unable to ride my bikes for a while, I was forced into the pedestrian's shoes. TBH I found bell pinging a rather aggressive "move over' signal, so I don't use it myself.
I'll slow down to marginally more than their pace well in advance and then downshift 3 or 4 gears when I'm sure they'll hear the clicking (at around 20-25ft). Costs me maybe 5 or 10 seconds more, but you do notice the difference in how pedestrians treat you. In the case of dog walkers, smiling at the dog helps too.

I find a ping and a thank you works. But I'm so slow they sometimes get impatient.

I never ping. Never have and never will. Never used a bell, and I rarely ever touch my horn on the bike or in the car. Years of commuting along canals and bridleways and busy roads, pavements and many, many miles of dispatch work.

Pity the fool who approaches me from behind at 20mph on the Regent's Canal tow-path furiously 'pinging' as they attempt to barge me out of 'their' way.

If someone has not acknowledged your approach, assume you need to go around them at a safe speed.

Always show appreciation for consideration, it is mere politeness and encourages more of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back