I want strava, the cheapest way?

spike3

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok so I ride in a club and everyone is on strava and it doesn't seem to be quietly going away as I had hoped it would.

Now my phone is not smart and I don't want one as my everyday phone. I'm not a tech person so what is the cheapest and simplist thing to master that will enable me to use Strava?

Thanks

You need some kind of gps device that lets you download the files. Unless you're planning on getting a new phone (and it would have to be smart), then the cheapest way is probably to get a bike gps - garmin, bryton, or other... Just make sure you can download the files from the device, I think the very cheapest ones don't let you download, they just work like any other bike computer, but get data from the gps link, rather than a magnet on your wheel.

Re:

It depends how much you want to spend.

You can get a second hand Garmin Edge 500 for £80. This is a top piece of kit for the money, but £80 may feel like a small fortune if all you are doing is downloading data to Strava.

Have a look on ebay at gps devices, the choices are bewildering.

Re:

Honestly get a cheap smartphone.
I think Motorola are releasing/released a Moto E. Tesco will probably do it cheapest.

While you don't want to use it as a phone, don't. Just use it as a pocket computer. Strava is easy on them and you never know, stick your sim card in it and you might like it as a phone and texting device ;-)

Or see if your mates family have an older smartphone you can have and use that.
Just stick it in a zip food bag, place it in your bag once started or some other high point with no obstruction and off you go.
It's much easier than a small cheap logger then having the faff with transferring data.

Re:

You should be able to get a cheap Android smartphone off eBay for 20 quid. Something like a desire c or galaxy ace. GPS built in, payg sim for free.

Re: Re:

stewlewis":1qvpvtle said:
You should be able to get a cheap Android smartphone off eBay for 20 quid. Something like a desire c or galaxy ace. GPS built in, payg sim for free.

Really, excellent news. How do I upload, via a computer?

Get a Three sim card, you can get a £10 credit and get super cheap calls/texts and a data allowance with subsequent data at 1p a MB.

spike3":qbprpupi said:
stewlewis":qbprpupi said:

Ignore the sim as you shouldn't need one and if not carful will hit data charges. I just leave it out, some smartphones for some reason need on in just turn the data connection off.
Stravas not liking a lot of the older phones anymore, it too feature rich and crawls and becomes annoying. Also satalite lock is not always brilliant and you can loose the start of the ride. Also battery life is not always brilliant on the older phones. They'll do for an hour or two rides.

Anyway, sync via WiFi when at home if you have it or in the pub if they have it.

Reasons why I say no to Moto E. Its a bit heavier and larger then the two mentioned phones, it 69quid at tesco direct with vouchers iirc.
You have very good battery life, the newest OS and Strava runs smoothly on it plus GPS locking is excellent and you gain increased satellites via the GLONASS 'GPS' group of satellites.
You'll probably start browsing Retrobike and eBay on it and heaven forbid use it to make phone calls as it becomes very easy to use.
Then grab Maverick App and you get OS maps for free. You may not want to use it and just have strava but you soon start to stray. I did, I started out with an old Orange San francisco , simiklatpr to the under powered cheap phones you're looking at. It is slow and clunky even with new OS software (running latest at a the moment)
But Strava doesn't work to well on my mates or my gingerbread phones anymore. Like I say there are times the GPS just isn't up to it to get a lock at the start.
I soon started to use phone and maps and web and.... Well I have in a bought the moto G. It excellent for everything I need now.
The E is a new budget version if the G (which is itself a budget phone)

Anyways, see if family have one or anyone on here to give to you. See what it does.

If you have any Google account e,g,gmail. Then set the phone up with that account, it makes life easier.

Once strava installed go to the options in the app and set it to start in logging mode. It's a time and sanity saver if you get the old phones.
Otherwise you'll be punching it and throwing it at the wall...

FluffyChicken":84xc7s7e said:
spike3":84xc7s7e said:
stewlewis":84xc7s7e said:

Ignore the sim as you shouldn't need one and if not carful will hit data charges. I just leave it out, some smartphones for some reason need on in just turn the data connection off.
Stravas not liking a lot of the older phones anymore, it too feature rich and crawls and becomes annoying. Also satalite lock is not always brilliant and you can loose the start of the ride. Also battery life is not always brilliant on the older phones. They'll do for an hour or two rides.

Anyway, sync via WiFi when at home if you have it or in the pub if they have it.
Just bear in mind that most smartphones really want to use A-GPS. So ideally they want data assistance to acquiring sats, and maintaining position, when reception can be a bit sketchy.

So without a SIM, or with data turned off, acquiring sats could take quite a lot longer, plus you may have situations where location accuracy is a bit iffy.

Back