BT Fibre Broadband.

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Well now we are relocated we have fibre broadband.

Observations so far, it is nice and fast.

Seeing as I don't use the cloud much, I don't actually need the speed for files or anything. Nice to be able to have multiple Skype conversations and such going on and sharing cams with family and friends across the world more easily. Great not having to shout upstairs to knock off the downloading because iPlayer is packing in on the repeat of Eastenders.

Getting well over 70Mbps every time on download speed and near 20Mbps upload.

Now as we hunt for our next project/bolt hole we are considering broadband speed along with everything else.

To get even a third of these download speeds in the sticks we would likely need a satellite broadband setup.

Bummer.

No!

It doesn't need to be of course.

For these speeds wee copper cores are just dandy.

The wires inside your PC's LAN socket are not fibre either.

Re:

I'm on BT unlimited and I don't get anything like those speeds, but that is because the copper wires between us and the nearest 'box' are over 30 years old and are a patchwork of repairs and dodgy connections.

A friend who lives practically next door to a local exchange gets blistering speeds and always has done.

I'm not exactly 'out in the sticks' but our exchange can bearly pump 2.0bps to our village. Our village was bi-passed in the cable revolution in the late 1990's so the next village along gets 50 - 60 and the nearby town gets 70-100.

*the local exchange is down for a fibre optic upgrade in June according to the Open Reach site and Samknows

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

legrandefromage":3bshy8z0 said:
I'm not exactly 'out in the sticks' but our exchange can bearly pump 2.0bps to our village. Our village was bi-passed in the cable revolution in the late 1990's so the next village along gets 50 - 60 and the nearby town gets 70-100.

*the local exchange is down for a fibre optic upgrade in June according to the Open Reach site and Samknows

Is this how a bear pumps?

cute_baby_panda_bear_powerlifter_in_3d_editable_canvas-r63ba04389c094618a4a96038f038962d_291lp_8byvr_512.jpg

legrandefromage":2ojo11mi said:

Groovy LGF, I am sure you will get a nice speed upgrade at that point.

I have to say this welcome boost in internet speed comes at a great cost to us in terms of other amenities; but it has underlined the importance of decent internet speed and really will cause us to pause before moving to another location here. In London we have had these kind of speeds for years but rarely use them, having little time in the short periods we are down.

Trouble is, for our next adventure we are probably looking at satellite broadband to even make 20Mbps or so.

Such is life. You either live in the sticks and accept the lack of urban norms or you live in the urban sprawl and make do without the qualities of life afforded by the rural idyll.

À chacun son goût, I guess.

Latest posts

Back