more ebay rants/ moan

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, I'm selling a couple of rare sort after items. It the only sort of things I sell these days as mentioned before it is getting prohibitively expensive to sell.

Both items are old electronics getting on for 25 years old. I cannot offer any sort of warranty and I dont imply that one is offered either. In fact I have never offered a warranty since starting an ebay account.

I get a random member start telling me that I have listed the items wrong. Instead of 'used' they should be sold under 'spares repair' - but they work perfectly. They are shown working perfectly, they will arrive working perfectly and they will carry on working perfectly for the life of the components.

I send an answer back simply comprising of ebay's own definition of what is used and a link to ebays resolution centre when something arrives as not as described.

I then get another email saying I should read the terms and conditions etc etc.

The 7.30am me decided that simple anglo saxon would suffice so I told him to mind his own business and **** off.

How on earth can I, a private seller, have the capacity to offer any sort of warranty on a second hand product other than 'yes, it works, money back if it doesnt' via ebay's standard stuff?

Re:

Just ignore them. If the equipment works OK, then listing it as "used" is within the rules and it shouldn't be listed as "spares or repair".
I wonder if its another seller getting annoyed that you're selling stuff cheaper than him?

I think you did the right thing...tbh on balance I have mostly had very good experiences with buyers and sellers...but there are always the odd berks. As for EBay...good too but their charges are getting ridiculous and I will avoid/deal outside as much as I can despite the service they offer.

Probably chancing his arm, trying to get you to relist as non-functional/spares and repairs.

So he can pick it up for a song to resell/repair/replace his broken kit.

TBH, i hope i'm never that desperate to shift stuff that i have to use ebay. I'd rather just stick it in the attic.......

Are there any alternatives to ebay?

I want to sell posters I've done, but putting a BIN price on them is too expensive now. Auctioning them off won't make me any money and aren't ebay now taking 10% on postal charges now? Plus Paypal want their cut too, hence I can only sell them for a pittance!

FFS!!! :facepalm:

Re:

If only.

To set up the banking details, such as Worldpay costs money. My buddy got his account hacked and lost thousands. I would rather go through Paypal.

I was looking at etsy, but that has it's drawbacks too.

Plus, it's not going to get as many hits from my own site :(

Re:

Always good to maintain cordiality, especially as a seller wanting to attract bids. Maybe instead of 'mind your own business f-off' you could politely say that you believe your listing is correct and done in good faith for used items in working order at the time of sale and that if the enquirer has any doubts then he/she is advised to refrain from bidding rather than questioning the seller's integrity.
If i got the 'f-off' reply i definately would not bid. Trust toward the seller is lost.
If i got a careful reassurance that the listing is genuine this might allay my doubts and tempt me to bid.
The enquirer might be going about it all wrong but he/she is clearly interested in the item, may be willing to bid, but needs some kind of reassurance that the seller is not pulling a fast one.
Successful customer care means making allowances for the differing characters of customers and adapting one's conduct to encourage and reassure rather than alienate them. It takes considerable tolerance and patience sometimes, admittedly, but worthwhile.

Back