Cycling clothing advise for the more generously proportioned

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I want some cycling shorts/trousers for the comfort of my poor bottom :( but I look on all the on-line sites and the very largest they have is 38-41" regardless of whether that means XL, XXL or XXXL to them, I'm 43" making me a total chubster because of my short stature :)

Does anyone know of a make/on-line shop that sells cycling clothing for my kind of size or that are more generously proportioned than they say? oh and not bank breaking :)

Thanks guys

Alison

Re:

I'd have a look at polaris stuff - got a few things from them for me and seem pretty good and not very expensive. British company as well.

They seem to do larger sizes generally (being tall/ broad shouldered personally).

Seem to do ladies clothes in more realistic sizes as well.

Re:

Never done this but just thinking laterally... Maybe you could remove the pad / chamois from any pair of cycling shorts and have it sewn into some regular lycra shorts (gym / arobics clothing or whatever)? Might not be perfect but may well do the job functionally..

Re:

Similar problems here. Only a 37 waist, but a 50 chest, which means I can either have tops that act as corsets or tops that hang down to me knees because everyone with a 50" chest must be 9 feet tall...

Don't get me started on XXXL cycling tops that are a 42" chest either...

May be a business opportunity, but my wife and I looked at this, and tooling up and development costs along with limited markets meant selling prices that would make Rapha look bargain bin...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Well, I've put my old women's under-shorts on and my old cycling tights, padless, and I can get them on now with a little bit of over stretching not all that noticeable, the reason why I am thinking of using them is they are more comfortable than jeans, especially as the weather gets better and jeans get damp, clingy and chaffing, they also ride out of socks and things and get caught by the chainset, but I always think really fat women in leggings look terrible, had a health visitor that was around 25st and all her rolls of fat were so visible in her leggings :shock: I really don't want to look like that, I'm 14st and loosing.

Even us cuddly folk have to feel we don't look any more daft than the average lycra wearing cyclist :D (actually I like a good bod in lycra ;) )

Alison

My wife is a size 16/18 currently and we got her some DHB padded liners from wiggle so she can wear them under her normal exercising leggings, and she finds that very comfy, and there's a bit of choice from Altura or DHB on there.

Back