computer repairs. are too expensive

oonaff

Senior Retro Guru
i know very little about computers.my lap top cooling fan is knackered and i am told there are faults
which need cleaning and restoring as it works in safe mode. the case is busted at the hinge.[pop ups doing my head in]
i propose second hand carcase and cooling fan but i know its going to cost a bomb via a shop!
i just wondered if there was a retro bike reader who could help ? or some one they know.

It all depends on how old the machine is, whether or not it is worth the hassle. Replacing the fan is usually very easy. Swapping out all the internals into another carcase is a whole other matter.

Really depends on how it was put together in the first place, but it is not a two minute job and then there is finding a donor machine.

If you were my neighbour I would take a look at it.

Cleaning out Windows is no big deal.
The fan may only need a good cleaning (many so-called "knackered" fans simply don't cool the laptop anymore because the cooling fins are full of dust and hair, effectively blocking the air)
The case damage can be more of a problem. Any chance of showing a picture?

I'd be willing to do it for the price of the parts, but the shipping costs would probably be an issue.

thanks chaps even those few words have help d [from raging bulls] i reckon when the hinge broke due to my darling daughter falling asleep on the sofa and letting it fall ,a few broken bits may have jamb d into the fan blades.there is a used fan for this model [advent] £3 inc post on e bay.there is also another complete broken one £60.its 3 years old .
i also wondered if any readers could recomend a good cheap anti virus i was told 'norton' slows your computer
down i wondered what retro readers might be using and the costs and if its poss to keep doing a monthly juggerling act with the one month free trial..lol ?thanks chaps

Re:

There is either cheap antivirus or good anti virus. Take your pick. It is worthwhile paying for the best antivirus you can afford. Being a Kaspersky user I am a little biased.

Attachments

• kasper.PNG
    kasper.PNG
    23.2 KB · Views: 463
thanks chaps, comodo sounds up my street! ,getting back to the broken hinge on my advent modena, it appears to be a bad design detail something about it wrapping around the body on google,i can live with it ! i will start with the cooling fan the damaged soft ware can wait 'iyogi' reckon they could repair it online [£150 with an anti virus deal]. i can still use it + i phone
thats the main thing.

Re: Re:

REKIBorter":1xjzefq6 said:
There is either cheap antivirus or good anti virus. Take your pick. It is worthwhile paying for the best antivirus you can afford. Being a Kaspersky user I am a little biased.

Sorry, but that isn't actually true. I deal with infected machines every single day and they have the full spectrum of anti-virus software installed (including Kaspersky!)

A reasonable free anti-virus program such as AVG or Avast is perfectly adequate and the additional features in the paid-for versions do not significantly reduce your risk of being infected (as an AVG reseller I'd have a vested interest in saying otherwise but over a decade of empirical evidence on this point backs me up)

The best way to avoid infection is to avoid clicking on suspect links and use adblock & noscript browser extensions as a matter of course; also to keep vulnerable plugins like Flash player / Adobe Reader / Java right up to date. If you don't do the above, it doesn't matter what anti virus software you're using, you'll get infected.

Re:

You may want to look up iYogi first, before dealing with them. They're not exactly the kind of company I'd trust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IYogi

Plenty of controversy around the whole antivirus thing. That £150 is also a subscription, so it'll probably be annually.
£150 is also bloody expensive if you don't need them that often. I reckon that shipping and parts would cost half of that, but then again you'd have to go without your laptop for 2 weeks.

As AJM said, the free antivirus solutions are just as effective as the paid ones and responsible browsing is way more important than which antivirus you use.

Back