Retrobike garage set-up

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Righto, moving into my new gaff at the end of June. I finally have a garage to fill up with junk but will go for lots of order and structure.

I'm looking for recommendations on storing and securing a fleet of rbikes, 5 (current count). I'm thinking a series of, or one block, of lock up bike type metal stands, mounted to the floor (concrete), similar to the sort of things dotted around city / town centres. Each bike would have it's own fuck off lock. Has anyone else got a similar or better set up? What works well?

Furthermore I need a much more secure garage door / security system. Any recommendations in that area?

:mrgreen:

Putting them on the floor takes up LOADS of room.
If you have a brick or concrete wall. Hang them on that. You can still attach big u bolts to the wall for the locks.

Get the door looked at, even moderately secure garage doors can easily be peeled open with fairly simple tools. Extra locks, or even bricking it up might be an option.
Also, lock your toolbox, so then they have no access to tools to dismantle your bikes/cut the locks.

I have mine hanging on hooks on the brick wall. For security I used Torq ground anchors that you can buy specifically to be drilled into brick work. I then use their heavy duty chains and gold level squires locks to loop through them. Job done. And it leaves some space beneath for other stuff. UPVC doors with the usual multibolts they come with. Job done.

Don't make any security measures obvious from outside - it may actually encourage theft by making lowlife scum think that there are valuables inside.

+1 for hanging them up.

BikeStorage.jpg

My bikes live on a mezzanine floor that can;t be seen from the front, even when the door is wide open, and the roofline doesn't look high enough for it to be there. They are also all locked together and the ones at each end locked to the wall.

grahame":3mlsn76p said:
My bikes live on a mezzanine floor that can;t be seen from the front, even when the door is wide open, and the roofline doesn't look high enough for it to be there. They are also all locked together and the ones at each end locked to the wall.

With a pile of French scrap in the way as well :p

Rode past your road this morning. You didn't wave back!

The worst story I heard was of a set of bikes that were stolen from a garage with the chain left in tact. The frames were probably chopped through to release them and weighed in :shock: . Another good wheeze apparently is to follow cars home with bikes on the roof. Bar stewards.

we just bought a house with a massive massive garage... all my bikes live instide the house... we don't lock the side door to the garage, hopefully someone will break in to steal... some ol dempty boxes and a really uncomfortable couch (yes please take that couch mr robber).

My_Teenage_Self":34jf2mvp said:
Don't make any security measures obvious from outside - it may actually encourage theft by making lowlife scum think that there are valuables inside.

+1 for hanging them up.

BikeStorage.jpg

I see you're going for the egg shaped front wheel look, personally I don't think it will catch on. Abit like the old Shimano Biopace non-round chainwheel design.

superstar1":d2yrfpfc said:
I see you're going for the egg shaped front wheel look, personally I don't think it will catch on. Abit like the old Shimano Biopace non-round chainwheel design.

:LOL: :LOL:

The weight taken on the rim is minuscule compared to how much load they take whilst you're riding on them!!

If hanging your bike ruins your wheel, then your wheel is screwed to begin with!!

Back