Wireless Dongle/Adaptor Query

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Afternoon all,

I have a desktop computer which my daughter wants to use. The problem is that it is not near the internet router and cabling would be a problem. I think i need a wireless dongle or adaptor.

Is a dongle and an adaptor the same thing?
We have BT Infinity - do i need anything unusual?

Thanks all, please keep any answers simple - i am not a computer wizz and simple suits me as i am a simple man -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z3gkq_gWL4

^^ superb song!

Happy Easter all,

Richard

dongles are the generic term for flash memory/wireless etc you need a wireless one rather than flash. I have an old school netgear wpn111 for an old laptop that works just fine.

My History - 2 things -

1.did you listen to that song?
2. your techie answer has me confused - could you re-phrase or explain

Apologies for my stupidity - my brain is fired at the moment

Richard

Re:

There are a few possibilities.

1 ) using a powerline. This consists of 2 boxes that you plug into electricity sockets. The internet signal will then use the electricity cables to go from the socket next to the modem to the one in the room where the PC will be. You can still use the sockets themselves to power appliances etc. It doesn't interfere with the internet signals.
I use this setup myself because my modem is a floor above where I actually live. It's excellent if there's a good connection between both sockets. However if you have a large house and the cables go through a central point (do you call it an electrical box in English?) first, the distance may become too long.

2 ) using wireless. For this you'll need either a router that has wireless capability or a modem that does.
Most routers will work out of the box, so it's just a matter of plugging it in to the modem.
However if you're not familiar with the technology, I'd suggest getting a technician's help to secure your new wireless network. Otherwise everyone nearby will be able to use your internet.
The PC itself will also need to be able to receive wireless signals. Luckily the receivers can be in the shape of a USB stick. Plug it into the back of the PC and most will work right away. If you need to get a technician to install the router, just get him to look at the PC's end too.

Welcome to the 21st century.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxxyjDFnbb0[/youtube]

Think BT infinity is wireless as standard.
Just need to buy a wireless usb stick. Search on amazon for one.
http://tinyurl.com/ne4uyyj

And to be honest, if you can register on a forum and post youtube links, setting up a wireless router and wireless connection to a PC should be well within your abilities. There are dozens of guides, and the BT instruction manual should have it fairly clearly set out.

Unless your brain is literally fried, rather than just a bit tired.

Thanks all,

I better explain - Infinity is wireless - this laptop is wireless, iPad, phones etc. are all on wireless but the new desktop is not wireless. It will work with a cable (ethernet presumably) to the router/modem but cabling is not possible due to the house layout so i would like to run it wireless.

Is it just a matter of plugging in a "wireless USB stick" into a USB port on the desktop.

And do i buy the above or has it another name?

Thanks all, apologies for my ignorance of computer stuff, it was after my time at school

Richard

BT sell them from their online shop if you are a BT broadband customer, last time I looked they were 9.99 for a 5ghz BT wireless dongle.

Shaun

Back