Uni Cycling, thats mono wheel not commuting to college

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Anyone Unicycle or tried it and succeeded or failed ?

Thinking of giving it a wee go if ultimately to improve my balance, shockingly bad or prove to myself it was a very stupid idea :LOL:

I like to do stupid stuff rather than just not do something because everyone else thinks its pointless. I've tried mountain boarding (skate boarding with big wheels off road) which was bad due to my balance issues, Single Speeding which is great but lack of talent/fitness stops me often, fixed gear on and off road see SS but is a hoot, kick scooters but I look a proper burk and crash a lot, roller skates/ ice skates which require coordination I dont have and skiing which again is great but again I have zero talent.
Basically unicycling is a bloody stupid idea but its cycling and I have not epic failed in it yet so why not :LOL:

I tried 20 years ago at Uni, it was hard, I gave up.
That said - I asked the missus for a unicycle last Christmas. Reply was - don't you have enough ways to hurt yourself. True enough, only a day before I had tried to show to my kids how to balance on a circular foot stool on its side and move round the living room. I think the sound of my chin hitting the floor put them off copying me. I am often used as a good example of what not to do.
I will ask again next christmas.

Unicycling isn't the mad sport people seem to think it is, I taught myself to ride a uni one week at work on nights. Since then I've had a 19" trials unicycle, 29er and currently have a 24" freestyle that I'm using for a bit of light trail riding (the 29er was superb off road just too big to jump on for a play!), I used to do the 3 mile school run round trip on one!
If you want some info or aren't sure what to try have a look on www.unicycle.uk.com or even better would be to give them a ring. Really helpful bunch who all ride uni's and will easily sort you out!

I just drove past a lass on what looked like a 26-er on the Inverness bypass road.

She seems to keep a good pace, must grab her one day for a yarn.

My introduction to unicycling was back in the 80s when I lived with a group or circus artists. My training involved donning every protective item I had and firing myself out of the front door and down the steps into the road, after using my hands through the hall. It was never pretty, but worked out in the end. Haven't been on one in a while, and I reckon I should. The beach is an ideal venue for initial, inevitable disasters.

Back