Disadvantages and advantages of not owning a car

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Especially in a small village.

Disadvantage.

I'm 4 miles round trip from the next village with a post office, I'm over 2.5 miles from the bus stop so I have to take my daughter to the dentist for 17:20, the nearest bus to her coming out of school is 15.00pm arrival, so almost an hour till she gets to me well over an hour, after we meet, till her appointment, I set off at 14.05 and we get home at 18:30ish, when I had a car I'd set off with her at 17:00 and be home at 18:00, in the first 4 days of this week I've walked to the post office 4 times to post stuff and to the bus stop 4 times.

The advantage

I have NEVER been so fit since 2009, I have no vehicle tax to pay, no petrol costs to pay, no insurance to cover and absolutely no repair costs to pay for, on a car anyway, and best of all, I can actually ask hubby for bike parts and he obliges :D and if I haven't lost at least half a stone by the end of this week, I'm going to be miffed :D not to mention the joys of watching road kill rabbit go from fresh meat on Monday to almost mangled and munched nothing on Thursday :LOL:

Guess which situation I like best?

Alison

My parents in law and best friend also :D

I would be like your friends but well I've said it all

Alison

Re:

Being ABLE to drive is a basic life skill. I went for years barely turning an ignition key, but could always when needed.

You never know what life will throw at you, so best be prepared. They are indeed killing machines though. They kill the environment, bank accounts, other people and their drivers. Hate them, but couldn't live without them right now.

Funny my mum, mother in law, father in law, step mother in law (does one exhist) and old friend training as a nurse all have never learned to drive
I learned as the bus company refused my first borns push chair. If you don't learn you work your way round it.

I have to say, but don't tell anyone, I miss the car but when back on the bike, who knows

Ali

I've never driven or owned a car. I safe an enormous amount of money with it. Money I can use on bikes and travelling. I've hardly ever sensed that it limits me. I can get nearly anywhere, of course I own a Brompton for the most efficient combination of rail & bike.
OK, I do live near to railwaystations, but that's a choice. Just like living in a village of living near a motorway is a choice for a lot of people.

Re:

Exactly on the whole you choose where you live and I choose remotish village, and like giving up smoking, 25 years ago, it's saved us a fortune. When I'm crippled with arthritis I may regret it but until then ?

Now how do you get to Autotrader :D

Alison

Back