Logo advice

8690q

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm looking for a wee bit of help regarding making a logo for my work.

I had a go with paint and it was useless or I was. Online stuff I looked at seemed fairly generic.

If anyone is doing this kind of thing and fancy helping or could give me some pointers I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Michael

Re:

I have done a few, they all look remarkable similar;-)
I use Illustrator, but Inkscape would be OK and it's free, a vector program is the
way to go. As for designs and stuff, your completely on your own I am pretty
unimaginative; I looked at logos, found one I liked and based the ones I did
on it.

Thanks guys,

I've downloaded inkscape but don't know where to start and that was after watching a tutorial :oops:

What I need is bike related and I'm hoping to incorporate the name of business into some part of a bike or maybe something to do with biking. This has maybe been done to death so I'm open to suggestions for something different.

You'll baffle yourself learning software, and you'll get nowhere fast.

Start with a pencil and paper:
Write down what your business does and what you want your customers to know about it.
Make a note of the 'feeling' of your logo, fun, retro, corporate etc.
Intricate of simple?
Do you want the logo to portray the business? eg British Cycling with it's winning cyclist.
Do you want the logo to portray the brand? eg SRAM just with it's name.

Keep a folder of ideas you like and colours you like, but you don't want to be copying ideas you just want overall ideas of style and feeling.

Once you have those you'll move to design:
Still making notes, where will the logo be used? Web, stationery, decals, mugs, keyrings etc.
A logo like Apple or a logotype like Facebook, or both like Specialized font and S.

Then, start doodling, scanning, vector (Inkscape/Illustrator) graphics, printing, tweaking, sizing, colour palette, looks good in B&W? narrow it down to a couple of designs, test again, narrow it down to one, test again, try a couple of revisons, test how it would place in situ on products. Consider if it will date well too.

Then use it, trademark it, promote the hell out of the business with it.

As for cost it depends on how much of that lot you want the designer to do, and how quickly the designer could do it as opposed to you learning it. You'll pay for the experience of a decent designer, research, branding, the position of the company in the market, execution of the design etc. £50 an hour maybe, 30 hours for a logo? It is your brand identity after all and the first thing many people will see.

But, if you just want something bikey whizzing up there's plenty of £99 logo deals.

But as we're all friends on RB an I'm no designer I'll help you out if you need it.

Re:

I've designed quite a few logos. You definitely want to use vector graphics and my advice is to keep it simple, if you look at the top, most recognisable logos, they are not fussy or intricate and often little more than the name or a word in a distinctive type face. A good logo needs to work at all sizes, whether it's on a business card or on the side of a van or billboard etc.; fussy, intricate logos with thin lines and fine detail don't work when they're small. Also consider whether your logo needs to work in monochrome or when reversed.

stewlewis":2inki6o9 said:
You'll baffle yourself learning software, and you'll get nowhere fast.

Start with a pencil and paper:
Write down what your business does and what you want your customers to know about it.
Make a note of the 'feeling' of your logo, fun, retro, corporate etc.
Intricate of simple?
Do you want the logo to portray the business? eg British Cycling with it's winning cyclist.
Do you want the logo to portray the brand? eg SRAM just with it's name.

Keep a folder of ideas you like and colours you like, but you don't want to be copying ideas you just want overall ideas of style and feeling.

Once you have those you'll move to design:
Still making notes, where will the logo be used? Web, stationery, decals, mugs, keyrings etc.
A logo like Apple or a logotype like Facebook, or both like Specialized font and S.

Then, start doodling, scanning, vector (Inkscape/Illustrator) graphics, printing, tweaking, sizing, colour palette, looks good in B&W? narrow it down to a couple of designs, test again, narrow it down to one, test again, try a couple of revisons, test how it would place in situ on products. Consider if it will date well too.

Then use it, trademark it, promote the hell out of the business with it.

As for cost it depends on how much of that lot you want the designer to do, and how quickly the designer could do it as opposed to you learning it. You'll pay for the experience of a decent designer, research, branding, the position of the company in the market, execution of the design etc. £50 an hour maybe, 30 hours for a logo? It is your brand identity after all and the first thing many people will see.

But, if you just want something bikey whizzing up there's plenty of £99 logo deals.

But as we're all friends on RB an I'm no designer I'll help you out if you need it.

Not a designer? That's pretty much spot on summary of a good design process! I think 30 hours is pretty minimum time for a professional to create for a logo.

8690q":1s0w7eyc said:
I'm looking for a wee bit of help regarding making a logo for my work.

I had a go with paint and it was useless or I was. Online stuff I looked at seemed fairly generic.

If anyone is doing this kind of thing and fancy helping or could give me some pointers I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Michael

Hey Michael,

I design logos for a living. It's really hard, and takes loads of time.
Stewlewis has hit the nail on the head with his advice but I want to reiterate; sketch, sketch, sketch. That's the best way to create something.

Work out what it is that you need to express and come up with a really simple idea to visually express that.

Cheers,

Bryan

Thanks for all the replies,

I should have added that I have sketched everything that pops into my head (I got a credit in Higher Art at school, not that it shows now). I've let everyone I know have a go at coming up with a sketch or two to add to mine and my oldest boy wants to take this to school to see if they can help and I could offer a wee prize for the best one even if it isn't used.

The guy doing my signage is working on a wee logo for me but I'd love to have something with a meaning I've come to or the kids have come up with.

I should have asked what is the best way to transfer a rough sketch of an idea to a suitable program on my computer. I've been back at Inkscape and it certainly looks handier than paint.

I would still appreciate any help if anyone fancies giving it freely.

Cheers

Michael

Back