More moderation please!

sylus

Old School Grand Master
Weird I know to ask for it because I have always appreciated the in the background style we have here..we largely self moderate with the exception of a few handbags at dawn momments

The reason for the request for more moderation is in particular areas please.

The for sale sections on all section in both members and ebay sales part but particulary the members part. Twas it me and I see someone join..give an add no pictures, phone number and saying give me offers I would delete the advert/post completely but would then pm the person outlying the need for correct application

I would also stop the cross posting of blitzing all sale section by new and existing members ..the rules are few on this but they should be adhered too

silly season seems to have started early at the momment so sooner would be better than later

I appreciate some mods may say hey we have enough to do already then I would politely ask if we have enough mods and should we have role specific roles of some mods such as keeping the sales section tidy?

Again..an ask rather than a complaint

Moderating is a tough call sometimes. Some would have it we're over zealous, some we're too soft. Hopefully this means normally we're about right.

There is normally a mod on here to skim threads. However if anyone notices an issue please use the report
icon_post_report.gif
button. In this way all mods will see notification of the problem.

With specific regards to the classifieds
-We no longer allow cross posting of ads, these will be removed.
-As long as the adverts have a price that is all we ask.

Don't get me wrong John..personally I feel across the forum the moderation level is spot in..but the sale section and newbies joining flooding the forum with adverts without meeting the conditions always gets worse when cycling season starts for most.

Personally I love some sites where they remove the advert entirely until they do get it right.

But I will now start reporting such things

An important thing to consider is the moderators own protection from accusations. I have seen forums where a moderator was deleting adverts of cheap stuff for sale that they wanted to bag themselves. Clarity is key, all sort of suspicions can rise if a mod is seen to be completely deleting adverts. It is a tough call and I can certainly see the downside of just locking a thread, but at least it is transparent to everyone else.

JeRkY":i62xp2ai said:
An important thing to consider is the moderators own protection from accusations. I have seen forums where a moderator was deleting adverts of cheap stuff for sale that they wanted to bag themselves. Clarity is key, all sort of suspicions can rise if a mod is seen to be completely deleting adverts. It is a tough call and I can certainly see the downside of just locking a thread, but at least it is transparent to everyone else.

That's why I prefer to lock the advert, with a message telling the poster to come up with a price. Actually I usually give the seller 24h to add a price before I lock the topic.
Only if the seller withdraws the ad or removes the content and asks for the topic to be deleted, I will consider it (depending on replies etc).

That being said, I don't often visit the Sales sections anymore because those visits always end up costing me lots of money. :facepalm:

does anyone remember that dog that used to say sausages?

"sausages" he would say, "sausages"

very clever that dog.

JeRkY":28uo6me5 said:

That happened on here a while ago, RB's version of Lance Armstrong...

Raging_Bulls":ydt8f29d said:
JeRkY":ydt8f29d said:

That's why I prefer to lock the advert, with a message telling the poster to come up with a price. Actually I usually give the seller 24h to add a price before I lock the topic.
Only if the seller withdraws the ad or removes the content and asks for the topic to be deleted, I will consider it (depending on replies etc).

That being said, I don't often visit the Sales sections anymore because those visits always end up costing me lots of money. :facepalm:

Just locking also allows me and other posters to have a nice eBay style bidding war over the items in a PM.
It much easier to use that method and cheaper than eBay, it also gets more notice than the whats it worth thread used for similar reasons.
Its a nice way to gauge a price on things ;-)

Back