Utterly modern BMX tip find: Mutiny The Cosmo Tron

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, for a single figure amount I walk away from the tip with a Mutiny 'The Cosmo Tron' BMX with Primo crankset and a spare set of Black Sheep wheels with Odyssey hubs...

Yes, I have no idea what I've just typed either but it equates to about £500 retail of BMX...

Attachments

• BMX.jpg
    BMX.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 408
Sweet. Get all stoked and go for a rad sesh, realise the only gnarly parts are your knees and your lack of bunnyhopability and then sell it, should be a quick profitable sale.

Speaking of BMXs, of which I also know nothing about, why is it, with a half decent one, they supply it with a front brake - albeit with only the rear brake and lever actually mounted on the bike, but what appears to be a very decent front wheel (with the smoothest bearings I've ever encountered on a bike wheel), that has a warning sticker on that it mustn't be used with rim brakes.

I get that BMX, um, people don't need them, they apparently just use The Force, but all the same why supply a brake (presumably for legal compliance), if it won't work with the bike's wheel? 'cos surely the sum of the parts isn't legally compliant.

On the upside, a very local Halfords sold me a thoroughly decent (although admittedly the bearings aren't as smooth as the original front) for £10 (think it was an unused spare they had in their back room.

Neil":2f9tp8nl said:
Speaking of BMXs, of which I also know nothing about, why is it, with a half decent one, they supply it with a front brake - albeit with only the rear brake and lever actually mounted on the bike, but what appears to be a very decent front wheel (with the smoothest bearings I've ever encountered on a bike wheel), that has a warning sticker on that it mustn't be used with rim brakes.

I get that BMX, um, people don't need them, they apparently just use The Force, but all the same why supply a brake (presumably for legal compliance), if it won't work with the bike's wheel? 'cos surely the sum of the parts isn't legally compliant.

On the upside, a very local Halfords sold me a thoroughly decent (although admittedly the bearings aren't as smooth as the original front) for £10 (think it was an unused spare they had in their back room.

Because half decent ones are ridden by adults, and using a front brake when you're an adult on a little kiddies bike is a good way of landing face first.

That and a whopping fifty odd gear inches doesn't get you going fast enough to need a front anyway.

Bats":1dk54spf said:
Neil":1dk54spf said:

Because half decent ones are ridden by adults, and using a front brake when you're an adult on a little kiddies bike is a good way of landing face first.
Surely only for adults that can only use brakes in a binary fashion.

Bats":1dk54spf said:
That and a whopping fifty odd gear inches doesn't get you going fast enough to need a front anyway.
Fair point, well made.

Just seems daft - no doubt the front brake and lever is included as a legal compliance / liability thing - but it's nothing more than a daft gesture, when the front wheel has a warning sticker on that it mustn't be used with rim brakes.

new frames you can take all the cable tabs and brake bosses off as alot run with no brakes now, not seen abmx wheel with that sticker yet but not up to date with them

Neil":2yw6qh1i said:
Surely only for adults that can only use brakes in a binary fashion.

You're stood up and leaning forward a bit on a too small bike with too small wheels. Makes things interesting.

Neil":2yw6qh1i said:
Just seems daft - no doubt the front brake and lever is included as a legal compliance / liability thing - but it's nothing more than a daft gesture, when the front wheel has a warning sticker on that it mustn't be used with rim brakes.

What's the exact warning on the wheel? Might it just be about there not being a machined surface?

Bats":1w88qjx3 said:
What's the exact warning on the wheel? Might it just be about there not being a machined surface?
"FRONT RIM ONLY"

"NO RIM BRAKE"

Sorry for shouting - I'm merely an echo of shouty wheel man.

The rims don't really look to have quite enough of a flat surface for a machined surface, truth be told - they're kind of too curved, really.

Random thing but as its a nice bike and it was free or cheap. I personaly would see if the plod know of one thats gone missing

Back