Computer Link to Internet

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

I am hoping some of the more computer knowledgeable peeps can give me some advice. I have a desk top computer BNIB which my daughter wants in her toy room. There is no internet connection in her room or close to the room, running cable etc would be a complete nightmare. I use a laptop and my wife has an iPad - both wireless - we have BT Infinity in the house.

What are my options to connect the desktop to the net?

Thanks all,

Ricvhard

Thanks,

Just to be clear - plug that in and away it goes? I am thinking about how the password etc is entered.

Richard

TGR":4iut8bve said:
Thanks,

Just to be clear - plug that in and away it goes? I am thinking about how the password etc is entered.

Richard
You'll typically have to do a little setup. For a USB WiFi dongle you may get a CD with drivers on, which you may need to install. Then you'll likely have a one-time connection setup, just like you'd do with any other WiFi device, so select / enter SSID, possibly select the WiFi security protocol / encryption used, and enter any password / passphrase required.

If you're reasonably happy setting WiFi settings on other devices (eg tablets, phones etc) you should be fine.

Great stuff - thanks for the prompt answers. I can now add this to my lengthening list of things to get done!

Richard

TGR":3gonfhnq said:
Great stuff - thanks for the prompt answers. I can now add this to my lengthening list of things to get done!

Richard
You can get cheapie USB WiFi dongles on Amazon or ebay - I've had a cheap one in use for a few years, now, and it's never been a minutes trouble. Set them up for family members, too, and they've never caused me any grief.

Or somewhere like Maplin sell them if convenience / speed is more important than getting one as cheap as possible on t'internet.

Truth be told, in my experience at least, they seem to cause me the least problems of any WiFi device. There's been times where I've worked around it in a different way, when I needed more than one wired connection in a room with no existing wired connections, by using a spare wireless router and creating a WiFi bridge. It was fiddly and awkward to setup, and router software updates bowled it a googly, which required more finagling and almost made me resort to percussive maintenance. Then the router died (that type of hardware always seems susceptible to heat over time), so at the moment that machine is also getting by with a USB WiFi dongle, which is so reliable in comparison, I'm living with not having a second wired connection in that room, for the moment.

Neil,

Thanks - simple suits me! I was going to google 'WiFi bridge' but have decided against it! Stick to what you know is one of my mottos!! LOL

Thanks,

Richard

Back