Boundary fences?

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I am guessing each individual case is different but is there any clear factual rules to who is responsible for fences? We are in rented property (all ready told we have to pay for fencing) from before when we lost panels on left side of garden . The big winds a few weeks ago put out two panels out at end of garden including the post been waiting for the other people to fix it and just heard through a 3rd party they are doing the same? :facepalm:

I openly admit I know very little about this sort of thing but thought as you look out your back door the left side is yours , another annoying thing is not long after we moved in they replaced one of the panels that's now gone which suggests they are trying it on!! :?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Daj

I think it would be jointly if put there originally by the builder :? Are the neighbours the same style?
Otherwise a new one could have been erected by either your previous occupant or the neighbours :?

Have you spoken to them ?
Try to come to an agreement youre both happy with and agree to pay jointly.
As youre the one insisting its done sooner rather than later you could agree to arrange repairs or with their agreement, do the work yourself if youre so skilled

I should have been in the Diplomatic service :?

contact the local authority, id have thought they can advise on who owns which side etc and then you can go from there. the landlord will have the info on the deeds as well, failing that conatct an estate agent, theyre quite useful at times and if theyve property on the same street, can advise as well. hope this helps dudey

Only way to be sure is deeds/records. Odd that you're responsible if rented?

We ended up sorting both as we gave hounds but ours us right side standing at back door so make sure you check.

Unusual to have to pay for fences if renting as someone said........have you read your tenancy agreement?

Shaun

Midlife":347ok8vu said:
Unusual to have to pay for fences if renting as someone said........have you read your tenancy agreement?

Shaun

this, repairs are usually Landlord's responsibility unless damaged by you

the responsibility (as to which property) will be on the deeds, if both set of deeds silent then I think it's 50/50, the on the left thing is a red herring I believe

As above post.
The deeds/land registry tell you.
Landlord is also normally responsible as it is their property. Just like they are responsible if the roof goes, walls fall down etc.

You can often tell with fencing though as there is usually a front and that tends to face the owner.

daj":3lk3c7s5 said:
We are in rented property (all ready told we have to pay for fencing) from before when we lost panels on left side of garden .

That doesnt sound right to me :?
Thats property maintanace and not wear & tear, I mean if a few tiles came off your roof "would you pay?" Its the duty of the landlord to maintain his property.

Not that it's ever been something that I've ever had to sort out that often, but whenever I've had a panel go on a boundary with another house, I've always seen it as a shared cost - fortunately, in the only time I can remember it happening, so did my then neighbour.

But surely if it's a rented property, that's the landlords concern?

Back