House insurance woes.

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So last week my roof blew off in a storm, when i eventually got through to my insurance they told me my roof wasn't covered for storm damage. I've heard so many stories now about this.
It amazes me they take your money for 20 + years and as soon as you have a problem they don't want to know.
I am seeking legal advice.
Anyone else had any shocking insurance tales ?
Insurance companies are just a bunch of con artists.

Sorry to hear that :(. I thought the buildings insurance would have covered that as it is not normal wear and tear? Is it some sort of flat roof that needs extra insurance?

Shaun

They are con artists. Like you I have been using the same people for many years till this year, when I realised they had put in a whole raft of new exclusion clauses , caveats etc and the policy was hardly worth the paper. Had to pay another £200 more than usual to get the equivalent cover to last year but it has to be done in our changing climate.

I feel sorry for the peeps living in flood postcodes who will prolly never be offered cover again.

We have a flat roof, and they told me it was never covered for storm damage.
I know insurance companies don't tell you anything to help you.
I have neighbours who are all telling me of similar accounts.

C*nts!!

Why is it that law abiding, decent citizens who 'do the right thing' and try to protect their posessions and loved ones are just f*cked over when it comes time for the 'system' to help them?

far as I can see insurance companies are a bunch of criminals!

hope you get this sorted :|

changed my cover one year;for the sake of a tener saveing
following year bill drops on the floor and its gone up from £40 per mth
to £140 :roll: rias
anyway wife left sold house moved on
old house is in ripon near where that house has nearly fallen down so next time anyone
renews there its going to be interesting;
one good thing about renting at mo dodge bills like that ;)

Flat roofs were an exclusion on my last policy in the UK. Which I took out 13 years ago.

It's always worth reading these things in detail.
(I've been ripped off before)

Insurance = government sanctioned Mafia. They'll gladly sell you protection. Just don't ever call in your marker.

How bad is the damage and what sort of roof is it? If you're not covered and face a hefty bill to get it repaired - try doing an EPDM course and doing it yourself. The courses last a couple of days and don't cost very much. The materials are all readily available and to be honest are a piece of piss to use - it's basically a big rubber sheet you stick to the roof. If you can make the bed and fix a puncture (the sheets are fixed together with rubber vulcanising liquid!) you can reroof your roof!

Have a look at these...
http://www.avenirroofing.co.uk/
http://www.hertalan.co.uk/epdm_rubber.aspx
http://www.permaroof.co.uk/

The roof is part of the building..i remember seeing a lady have a sink hole in her garden and an insurance company saying it wasn't covered as it wasn't the house.

I suspect a lot of these shisters? are chancing there arm. Get a few quotes re the roof, submit them, also start writing rather than telephoning and also involve the insurance ombudsman.

I suspect the same tricksters will give in when they see the customer won't back down.

Get the roof done..then and only then..change company

Back