shared access question

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Went and had a look at a house for sale, where the neighbour has a right of way through the garden to their garden. Does anyone have any experience of this and the pitfalls this would bring?

I understand a security issue, and privacy but if they're OK neighbours and its only to one property, is it really that bad, or am I being niave.

it can be an issue if the neighbour decides to redevelop next door or you get arsehole rental neighbours who think they owned the place (we did, they didnt)

the first forced our friends out of their house, the latter forced us out of our flat in the end

Do you mean actually transporting stuff too and fro when building something? they've already built an extension and a conservatory. It looks like they own the house. Its pretty much the only negative point to the house, other than needing a good repaint and tidy inside.

It all can be made to sound OK, same with shared drives, but really assumes reasonable, like-minded neighbours. And even if they are now, things often change.

Personally, I'd steer clear - things like that and shared drives, you only have to walk around a bit and see countless examples of people taking liberties.

Have to admit, don't think I'd risk it either, after past experiences with neighbours. Just be aware that even the nicest people can change over night when it comes to territory!! :facepalm:

Shared drives is what caused me problems, it's a minefield all round though as far as I can see.

The estate agent said the access could be moved but we looked into it and it would cost a bit. My girlf wanted ot do it straight away if we moved in. I wanted to ask the neighbours first and if they objected walk away from it. I dont want ot upset them before we've moved in, regardkess of if we ever speak to them daily.

is the price that good;me wouldn't touch out like that with a barge pole
murphys law at work here ;)
got to look at resale too ;going to be hard to sell if you need to

My aunt owned a property next to her with her own shop the other side of it. She decided to sell the house, and in order to retain the access to the shop she put in as a condition of sale that the new owners agree to subsequent work to re route the access. This entailed 'swapping' a section of land, and worked out very well. You could approach the owners of the property in this case and ask if they would agree to such before you entered into the purchase, and once you move ahead have the seller amend the contracts to include the condition.

My neighbour's house has an access across his rear garden, exactly as described. It has not affected the value of the property or caused any friction or disputes in the 21 years I have lived here, but as other people have mentioned, it is dependant on decent and reasonable neighbours.

just one other thought on this there may be insurance needed against a dispute
we had it on a house with a shared right of way.
cost 750
and if theres been access for more than 20yrs it sets a presedent so cant easily be denied.
all more to go wrong ;)

Back