ebay issue. what would you do?

onegoodbike

Merlin Fan
Feedback
View
Are you sitting comfortably then i'll begin....

Last weekend i won a bike on ebay, which i promptly paid for via paypal. I heard nothing for a few days then got a message saying the bike would be posted on thursday, so far so good.
On thursday the bike was duly marked as despatched on the ebay sale info, great it's on its way.
This morning (friday) i received a message from the seller stating that he could not post the bike as the parcel was to big (it is still showing as posted on ebay) and when he tried to break the bike down he found that the seatpost was stuck, therefore would i like the stripped off parts at a reduced cost or a full refund, i thanked him for keeping me informed and asked for the full refund.
This afternoon i find that the frame and its component parts are back for sale on ebay, yet i have had no refund, so i think i'm right in saying that they still belong to me. I said as much in an email to the seller and asked if they could refund my money ASAP. Their response was not to worry i'll get my refund in a couple of days!.

Am i alone in find this exasperating?. surely you'd refund the original buyer before readvertising the parts?.

The question i am now asking myself is do i give them the benefit of the doubt, or do i slap the whole sorry case into the laps of the resolution centre right now?.

Your thoughts on this situation will be appreciated, unbelievably i've had issues with 4 of my last 5 ebay purchases!.

Thanks for listening. Matt

A refund takes seconds via paypal. No idea why the seller should need a couple of days to process. I would raise the dispute - I think that way (providing he hasn't already withdrawn them) the funds are frozen until the resolution is closed out.

From past experience myself I would say get in there quick and raise a dispute with ebay, there's no advantage to hanging around, after all, if it's all completely innocent (which it doesn't sound as if it is) the seller can explain that to ebay.

You've done your bit, let them do theirs now - to my mind this is effectively theft.

fjpshaw":21xt7cxr said:
A refund takes seconds via paypal. No idea why the seller should need a couple of days to process. I would raise the dispute - I think that way (providing he hasn't already withdrawn them) the funds are frozen until the resolution is closed out.

Agreed - I'd raise the dispute - especially if it's been listed again.

If they've got time to do that, they've got time to refund your money - it's not theirs, and neither is the bike until they refund what you've paid for it.

Another vote for raise a dispute.

There are any number of reasons why they have not refunded you, one of which is because they have already spent the money.

A dispute will not lead to a quick resolution. Ebay now give you 15 days to reach an amicable solution (whether you need 15 days or not) before acting themselves.
It could also inflame matters.
Tricky...

suburbanreuben":dovf14bb said:
A dispute will not lead to a quick resolution. Ebay now give you 15 days to reach an amicable solution (whether you need 15 days or not) before acting themselves.
Tricky...

Yes but you should definitely get your money back. With some, it's always mañana.

And the matter should be inflamed - this seller has the buyers money, despite having relisted the bike.

suburbanreuben":2rc1vz1g said:
Tricky...
15 days more than the seller needs to issue a refund. The open dispute may at least give him the nudge he needs to do the right thing though. Shouldn't need eBay to get involved, but I'm sure the buyer doesn't want to be in this same situation in 15 days time and not have the option of enlisting ebay's help.

I would either hunt them down and remove fingers joint by joint until refunded, or open a dispute.

The History Man":mj41kvqj said:
I would either hunt them down and remove fingers joint by joint until refunded, or open a dispute.

To be fair, you are high on drugs though at the mo, perhaps the Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels approach wouldn't normally be your first line of attack? :LOL:

Back