A Happy Ending. Heartfelt thanks Please read.

The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
It was ten years ago this weekend........ Please read and look after yourselves.

On Sunday was out on my usual style of ride. Started down there and a good climb to pic

36d7150e713ce7ba8c0c19748179ff3c_zpscd42f4cb.jpg

On the way around the common and during climb all good. After another few miles all started to get a little odd. Tight chest, no strength, everything felt a bit of a struggle. Carried on for another couple of miles until I literally ground to a halt with severe chest pain, like 'stitch but across chest between armpits. Also pain in what felt like middle of left bicep. Got off took 5 mins to recover then rode the six miles home with some difficulty and total lack of energy.

Hosed down bike, put it away, came in and started to change. Pains returned, this time worse and with sweating. Called 111 and all hell broke loose.

I had had two or more heart attacks. I was taken by ambulance to local cardiac unit where I had another. This led to an angioplasty yesterday. Home today with a new lifestyle, a serious quantity of drugs, some of which I will take daily for the rest of my natural. I now have a rehabilitation regime that will allow me to walk for 15 mins a day next week.

This was a completely unforeseen event that had been building for years due to poor choices when younger re drinking, smoking and diet. Apparently my current fitness is likely to have saved me and allowed me to get home.

If you think you're a bit jaded or struggling more than you should be (as I was) just be careful and listen to your body. It didn't feel like the full cliche crushing chest pain heart attack scenario you hear about. Far more subtle and progressive debilitation leading to a virtual standstill.

I nearly didn't call. Could have been a different story.

Regards THM
age 47 resting heart rate 57 bpm

Tried to be casual and while at an enforced standstill took this. Was using the gate for support. It's all about the riding after all. :oops:

6ef10cddef0cab2991c5ef4eb134edef_zpse3300caf.jpg

Last edited:
Re: A warning. Please read.

Glad you survived, the scary thing is you hosed your bike down before ringing the emergency services.
You must really love your bike.

I myself had a routine check up and i have to see a cardiologist, i have an on going issue with atrial fibrillation ( irregular heart beat ) i have been put on aspirin.

Take care history man.

I know how difficult it is to seek medical advise, often you are made to feel that you've just waisted the 10 mins appointment that someone with real problems could have had, I've left with that feeling so many times.

My hubby took 2 weeks to call a doctor for himself, I was embarrassed that he had :oops: he was swiftly carted to hospital with pneumonia and pleurisy, the worst the hospital doctor had seen he said, I was then triply embarrassed :oops: :oops: :oops:

Work hard on that recovery :D

Alison

Glad to hear you got your priorities right, hose the bike off, then call 111. :facepalm:

Amazing story, I'm pleased you are here to share the whole scenario! :cool:

The circumstances provoke me to look into the whole mission of action by your good self. You knew something was wrong so you headed home, if you cannot tell somebody around you then, that is a good move.
The further towards a main road or well used path of some kind is also advisable. If you collapse then you have a greater chance of being discovered.

A day you won't forget in a hurry mate. Take your time and recover!

:cool:

Bloody hell............

You were lucky to get the bike washed and lubed before keeling over.

Seriously though, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Bit late with the pics and the write up, eh?

Priorities...

Hope you are feeling better - I know somebody who went through something similar a few years back - albeit he perhaps wasn't as active as you were (although went on daily walks, but that's when it happened), I think he also liked a cigar, a drink fairly regularly, and probably other things he has to restrict, now.

Looking at it with a positive outlook, whilst it's hard to see having several heart attacks as lucky, it could be that it was discovered and dealt with, and with ongoing treatment, in time, and you'll go on to reuse rubbish jokes for a very long time.

Take care, put your feet up and heal for a bit.

Back