motorway pubs.

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
what will it be next, drive through crack dens. :LOL:
wetherspoons opens the 1st pub at a motorway service station.
the last thing we need on the road is more drunk drivers.
so who thinks this is a good idea ?
i think it's totally bonkers.

Aren't all pubs on the sides of roads?

Does the size of the road make any difference to a human's responsibility?

i don't think on the majority of A & B roads there are too many cases of multiple pile ups.
so i think there is a genuine concern for establishments serving alcohol on motorways.
and yes i do think there is a big difference in the types of roads.
given that most drivers on motorways travel long distances & add to that the fatigue.
but yes it is the responsibilty of the individual,
but why put the temptation there in the first place ?

I am with Jetman in this one. Counter intuitive to have licensed premises on the side of the motorway, other than those you are going to be staying in overnight.

rosstheboss":1g3io290 said:
Aren't all pubs on the sides of roads?

Does the size of the road make any difference to a human's responsibility?

I guess it's much easier to walk / cycle / get a bus / get a cab to a pub in a more normal place, though.

I suppose there's passengers, or things like coach trips - but then who wants to be the driver when there's a load of pished up people in tow.

It does seem a bit daft - motorways aren't exactly normal roads that people can easily just get to without needing to drive, when they've had a drink. It very much encourages the one or two is OK to drive with - and yes, I get, the motorways are probably statistically the safest - but the consequences tend to be greater.

From what I understand it is at a service station with a PremierInn/Travelodge etc attached. You can buy booze at loads of garages and service stations. I really can't see responsible people suddenly deciding to stop their journey, get leathered and then carry on. Yes there is more of a temptation there but generally speaking my experience of motorway services is along the lines of this:

1.Have a piss
2.Throw burger down neck.
3.Leave.

As opposed to

1. Have a piss
2. Throw burger down neck.
3. Decide to settle in 'Spoons for a large one instead of getting to my destination.
4. Potentially die in enormous drunken motorway pile up.

I can't see it taking off anyway....

I am reassured if the pilot exhibits slurred speech when addressing the passengers. After all it could be the last day of one's life; so why not enjoy it? Being a few sheets to the wind could only help make sense of all those dials!

Back