keeping fit with a wonky hip

BarneyRubble

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just had an operation on my hip and will be unable to do any meaningful exercise on my bike or feet for a while. Anyone got any suggestions for an exercise routine that will maintain or even improve aerobic fitness without using your legs?

Sitting on the sofa all day is driving me mad and I'm missing the mental "lift" that only exercise can provide!

swimming perhaps? Only focussing on the arms, of course.
Other than that, you can lift weights on one of those fitness machines where you lie on your back.

Either way, I wouldn't do any excersise that requires you to sit, stand or walk/run

Swimming hold a float with your legs.

Alo weights chest shoukder and armd you can go heavy or sit in a chair and do many reps with light dumbbells.

Swimming is tricky as I can't drive at the mo, but I'm doing high reps of small weights. It just doesn't seem to get me out of breath. I miss riding a bike! :(

I'd say dont push it hard.but push it slightly each day. As the doc recommended ;)

whatabout visiting a gym for their cycling machines. Though theyre a poor cousin to the real theing they do sport plush seating and are stable so you can mount and dismount carefully without putting too much strain in the joint.
Once comfy you can slowly spin the pedals at the easiest pressure just to keep things moving.

I was thinking about an exercise bike...hate gyms though so I might try and borrow one. There must be loads sitting in garages around the area!

In and out? Chance would be a fine thing - I'm married! :)

Surgeon said an exercise bike would be ok to keep the joint mobile and gradually build strength. It is not weight bearing or impact, so good all round.

Latest posts

Back