Flashing front light recomendations

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've got all sorts of front and back lights for my bikes, including a really excellent bright LED headlight, but every time I buy a flashing headlight I am disappointed with the results, as they always end up a bit weak.

Anyway, prompted by a chance encounter with another rider yesterday, who had a nice matching pair rectangular lights front and back, I thought I ask the vast knowledge repository that is RB; What would you recommend?

I don't want anything MEGA bright, I already have that, I just want a nice visible flashing light that is not going to burn the eyeballs out of those unfortunate enough to come face to face with it, but just bright enough that even on a nice sunny day like yesterday, it alerts other road users to my presence.

Before I got a super bright rechargeable I had one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Lunar-3 ... 4897.l4275

Only just about bright enough on completely unlit roads to spot pot holes, but plenty bright enough in flashing mode to be noticed and has a decent bracket.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'll take a look as the price is good, but I already have something similar with three LEDs in it that I got from my LBS, and although it's OK, I was hoping for something with a bit more punch.

NeilM":2gdkoiwx said:
I don't want anything MEGA bright, I already have that, I just want a nice visible flashing light that is not going to burn the eyeballs out of those unfortunate enough to come face to face with it, but just bright enough that even on a nice sunny day like yesterday, it alerts other road users to my presence.

Trouble is you'll need something pretty bright to be seen on a sunny day. Daytime mode on my Lezyne rear light for example is twice the lumen output of the other night time modes.

Good point. I think I'll do an internet trawl and see if I can figure out what the guy I saw was using.

I use an exposure spark. it uses rechargeables so if it starts to fade then a charge returns it to full power. I'm not the biggest fan of blink/flash lights and its not as blinding as some out there. I have a luminator to supplement but never have it on flash as its flash would induce epileptic fits, I leave it on low/middle setting as a constant and dipped a little. the flashing exposure is good for dusk / low light / grey times.

In my other life, as a non cycling car driver, I cover something like 35,000 miles a year and have done for the last 35 years (lord I'm old).

In my capacity as a car driver, I feel,from my personal perspective, that flashing light are a great way of getting peoples attention. I know some people don't like them for a variety of reasons, but I think they are great.

As for epileptic fits: As far as I am aware, sufferers are not allowed to hold a driving license, so it's not a concern I share.

UPDATE: A trawl of the net has produced the Moon Comet. I am pretty sure this is what the chap I met yesterday was using, so I'm off to find the best price I can on one, and I'll give it a try.

Back