Cultural identity

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
After seeing a little of the immigration thread got me thinking about cultural identity.

My family for the past 3 generations have been from the West Midland, well Nottinghamshire, and I don't know either as a Britain or an English woman or as a midlander what my cultural identity actually is, is it pie and chips :facepalm: I don't feel particularly proud of where I come from, or feel better than anyone else from any other country/county, I feel lucky that I am not in desperate poverty and that I wasn't brought up in an inner city slum, I once, when we were looking for larger accommodation, went past a house up for rent that the area looked so scary we were afraid to stop the car in case we had no tyres on return :roll: I feel lucky that I can get medical help free when I require it, but this has nothing to do with cultural identity.

I was just wondering do we really have a true cultural identity or are we really a product of so many invasions throughout British history that we don't really have one to speak of.

What makes you British or Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh or even from any given county in any of the aforementioned countries? and what is it that we are trying to protect?

Alison

Hi ,

I think your middle paragraph said it all .
Born in Colchester , from English parents , and with an Irish or Scottish surname , I don't have any idea of my roots and how far I would have to go back to find them .
I think the BNP/UKIP parties take advantage of the hype dished up by headlines and front page 'scandals' , to scare people into voting for them . Figures tell the true story IMO .

Good afternoon ;)

I mean even our fish and chips the so called national dish began life in Portugal with their battered fish.

Alison

Can anyone really claim to have originated such a thing as fried potato and fish? Like so many so called cultural markers the origins are nothing to do with the significance. Tartan, bagpipes and all that.

TheGreenRabbit":2b3bbdz6 said:
Alison":2b3bbdz6 said:
I mean even our fish and chips the so called national dish began life in Portugal with their battered fish.

Alison

thought the national dish was chicken Tika Masala ?

I thought the national dish was Keir Knightley , but her name doesn't sound very english

highlandsflyer":5r12ir4q said:
I am old enough to remember the national dish as Diana Dors.

:LOL: :LOL: I know the name but I'm too old to/can't remember what she looked like :facepalm:

Back