Shoes for flat pedals

rosstheboss

Retrobike Rider
And I'm not talking the skate shoe type thing.

Having just missed out on the NOS Nike Poohbahs and also having a weekend of trying not to fall on my arse in the mud, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for bike shoes that you can use with flat pedals (V12s) that actually offer some grip off road? Shoes now seem to have the cleat bit already cut out - the Nikes had the option of leaving them on...

Thanks in advance!

Re:

Football boots :D
The studs are well spaced and will easily fit through the pedal allowing full contact with the pedal body while at the same time offering unparalleled grip should you need to put a foot down or carry up a hill.
Pretty stiffed sole too by all accounts. Ticks all the boxes really ;)

Now dont knock it till youve tried it :idea: :LOL:

1 where were these NOS pooh bars, damn I would have out bid anyone in the world i think...
2 a pair of poohbars on flats would have lasted about 11 minutes before being destroyed I think...

Nike did recently reisssue the mowabb which was an offroad cross trainer back then (they were shit for riding back then, so probably worse now).
Something like the Morizaba or Alda
or just soem slaomon or similar trail shoes...

my poohbahs have held up fine and i only ride flats. They come up very tight though, so can only wear them in summer with summer socks.

I also have some shimano m 058 in a bigger size so i can wear thick socks, Im pretty impressed with them so far, nice stiff sole and plenty of grip. Have proved to be quite robust , well padded and support the ankle. They dont look too silly either.

The cleats are covered by a screw on plate, so it shouldnt detach. it is starting to chew up a little from the pedal pins but not a major worry.

i got mine silly cheap, so if you can find them buy them

Attachments

• shm058.jpg
    shm058.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 383
Have your pooh bars been used for a long time though? Old nikes tend to be fine if you use them, its the ones that arn't used, the glue goes hard and they tend to fail easily. Would be better for cyucling shoes with no PU midsold, tunning and basketball shoes will self destruct in the box.
And yeah from the pair I tried on back in 95 (special order) they were some microscopic size.

i got them NOS about 3 years ago, used regularly ish for summer riding but also a few muddy winter rides, but tight shoes with thin socks in rain and mud makes for a miserable ride :cry:

they have also been through the washing machine a few times and seem to be holding up fine.

they may fall apart next week though :roll:

hopefully not... gives me hope, i'd still love a pair, was gutted when the pair I ordered in didn't even come close to fitting...
My cairns, 1 pair I rode hard in from 2001 till I slowed down in them in 2008 but they still saw regualr use the heel separated last year. My spare pair that sat in a box until 09, fell apart first ride :(

I mostly know runners and balling shoes, I have a few pairs that are very wearable from the mid 80's but usually from the mid 80 on they explode (great when some pays $1000 for a pair and they up and disintegrate in the box hahaha)

T'boo Ted":mks8agxy said:
or just soem slaomon or similar trail shoes...

I have some of these :

salomon-speedcross-3-w-black-dynamic.jpg

for running though :LOL:

They do a great range of neon (retro ?) colours and no laces flapping around etc :cool:

Grip in mud and self cleaning soles are awesome :cool:

WD :D

yeah I had the xt wings 2 and the GF has some xca pros. great shoes, not too soft in the midsole, super grippy in the dirt and titdy laces.

what size are you dude? i may have some nikes kicking about in a box, in the spares cupboard ;)

Back