The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Cheap as poss. Desk top has fallen over again. Old dell so not worth fighting with. Still running xp.

Do I go desk or lap top. Up to £400 inc ms office. If I go desk will screen etc just plug in so tower only?

Are laptops just as efficient these days?

Will be going out later to buy so PC world etc

Thanks guys.

How much is a mac? :mrgreen:

this is something i would be interested in aswel.

macs (i have one at the mo) are expensive.

laptop v desk top, do you need to move it or use it elsewhere is your answer there. i think though generally laptops are more expensive for the same features.

my attitude though is that if it is for business then microsoft is generally the way forward.

in all honesty i'm not sure which is why i said i'd be interested aswel, i might need a business computer hence my interest. for me i'd prefer a desk top though. also, i heard bad things about some of the more recent windows operating systems but i can't remember which was the painful one.

The History Man":lidmkjsa said:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/packard-bell-easynote-ente69kb-15-6-laptop-silver-21737252-pdt.html

is this good enough? probably way better than my old thing. can get office for £85 if i buy new

If you look around the sale stuff with Currys and Argos (maybe their ebay outlets) you should be able to find an i3 with a bigger hard drive than that, for very similar money.

I thought there was a bargain laptop with an i5 and 8G of RAM in the sales, somewhere, from Currys (I think).

Neil":1n5orwe8 said:
The History Man":1n5orwe8 said:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/packard-bell-easynote-ente69kb-15-6-laptop-silver-21737252-pdt.html

is this good enough? probably way better than my old thing. can get office for £85 if i buy new

If you look around the sale stuff with Currys and Argos (maybe their ebay outlets) you should be able to find an i3 with a bigger hard drive than that, for very similar money.

I thought there was a bargain laptop with an i5 and 8G of RAM in the sales, somewhere, from Currys (I think).

cheapest i5 i can see. what do i gain for the £80? remember the last time i bought a machine was 2003.http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ ... 5-pdt.html

A desktop is a desktop is a desktop. They've evolved to a point where they cant go any further for day to day stuff.

If you are storing thousands of gb of info, this is the way to go. If you want something static and are not bothered by the space it takes up, its a desktop. Screen will better, keyboards will be better.

But desktops are unfashionable.

Laptops can still be heavy, short on battery life and easily damaged.

I still sling together recycled stuff so have a few desktops at the ready. I have a fairly decent Dell on standby when my current one fails. Too slow to get to you today but up for sale if anyone is interested.

Ive just thrown my old laptop in the bin I'm looking for tablet to replace it but I'm not sure they will cut it just yet, mabey something like a surface pro might work with an external HD for back up

Thanks mark, Need to work fast so looking for something to keep up with new stuff elsewhere such as newer office than im running etc. my old stuff is starting to die. (three old laptops as standby machines) typing on dell inspiron 9100 anchor. but keeps going.

what's the difference between i3 and i5? is it all going to be a shock whatever?

Back