A new breed of cyclist...

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Well, now that I'm using my bike to commute to/from work every day, I've begun to notice a new breed of cyclist on the shared pathways... Strava w**kers.

The key point in that last sentence is the fact that I said "shared pathways" - ie. a combined footpath/cycle path, in this case running from Penarth and around Cardiff Bay into Cardiff itself (Butetown).

I've been using Strava to log my ride to/from work on and off over the past few weeks. On a couple of occasions I've noticed that I'm on the leaderboard (albeit 136th out of 400 users) for this particular section of shared pathway. Now, I only pootle to and from work so my average speed on this section is about 12mph. However, the people at the top of the leaderboard for this particular section are averaging close to 20mph - ON A SHARED PATHWAY.

Bearing in mind that this pathway is in a built up area, and is used by walkers, runners, dog walkers and other cyclists - doesn't it seem a bit w**kerish that some idiots are hammering along it, head down in order to set the fastest time? And it's not a straight section of path either - there are plenty of places where you are unable to see whether there is anybody on the path infront of you.

I think I was passed by one such helmet this morning who overtook me and then cut back in front of me in order to go past a walker on the opposite side of the path. Hence the reason I'm having a little rant.

Anyway, Merry Christmas! :xmas-big-grin:

That is out and out wankerish behaviour. I've seen the same idiots battering along a busy pedestrian shared precint.

I've just loaded up the leaderboard I'm referring to, so that you can see what I mean, here we go:

Attachments

• Strava.PNG
    Strava.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 427
They are everywhere. However it is possible to get areas taken off Strava which would stop them. I tried to create a segmetn for a part of a similar ride I do and it was refused as it was an unsuitable path for Strava.

Not a clue how to do it though.

I think the backlash has already begun on this, but those 'shared paths' are going to get unshared pretty quickly if it continues. There was a bit of annoyance a while ago from cyclist because Sustrans were complaining about the same thing - namely people using the Sustrans routes as some sort of Time Trial course and upsetting other riders and dog walkers etc.

There is an under-cliff shared path section near me and the current 'fastest' along there is over 25mph, I am not sure what that really proves to anyone, other than if there is an accident it 'proves' that cyclists are going too fast down there and there is enough ammo online to ensure it will get monitored with a view to stopping cyclists using the path if it happens again.

Whilst I've not seen it, this is/was also apparently happening places such as trail centres and woods with popular bits of singletrack, the worst offenders actually shouting 'Strava' at people as if this is some form of acceptable way of getting folks out of their way so they can set a good segment time / KOM. This plus a lot of track getting ruined as the Strava psycho starts straight-lining everything in an effort to 'win'.

BTW I can and do use Strava a lot and I do like it but surely there is more to life than 'KOM thru pedestrian area at school kicking out time (2 injured)'.

*Frantically deletes ''KOM thru pedestrian area at school kicking out time (2 injured)' from Strava history*

In America, the family of a cyclist took Strava to court in an effort to win compensation for the loss of their son / husband, who had been killed on the road while trying to win back his KOM title. :facepalm: The case was thrown out.

My son has stopped using strava segments as training aids, after working out that people must have been riding flat out through red traffic lights in an effort to beat times he occasionally set (late at night), when luck gave him green lights at every junction.

Lets not forget the KOM done in cars and mopeds as well!!! I used Strava for a while then went back to Endomondo... Can't be arsed with the competition side of it.

there is a shared path I take from work. In the dark and late at night, it's empty, and offers good vis. I've averaged 19mph over 4 minutes for it, and I'm a minute behind the KOM. Although this isn't hanging about, I am very respectful to other users, and slow down and give them a wide birth when I come across them. Especially the twats blocking the path with their sh*tting machines. Pedestrians have priority, but not their dogs

Back