Wine, especially at this time of your

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
What do go for?

The cheapest on the supermarket shelf, and supermarket's own Cava for that Champagne touch?

The best the supermarket has to offer as long as it's half price?

The best you can buy from a dedicated retailer of fine wines?

Me, I go for the best at the supermarket when it's half price, I like to feel I'm getting reasonable quality at a good price, but I know Jack shit about wine other than it's shite if it £2-3 :D

Alison

Lidl is pretty good for most wines, if you're not a quaffing connoisseur. And like you say, the supermarket deals can be pretty good too - my local coop had a deal the other night - buy 2 bottles of £7.50 wine for a tenner, so I did!

Lidl Prosecco is bloody lovely as a champers substitute

Beer, every time. :D

I persevered for years with wine, but I've come to the conclusion that it basically all just tastes sour and nasty. Would be OK on chips as a vinegar substitute I guess, but using Veuve Clicquot as a condiment is rather uneconomical. :D

Mostly any kind of red as only drink it when I've had to much beer and should just go to bed :facepalm:

Edit. Mulled as I've just had some :D

That is rather a myth, the £2-3 is crap idea.

Decent wine is not produced at a price point.

Lidl often have some lovely wine in the £3-4 bracket.

French wines tend to be a little more for a given quality I find.

You pay a premium for the origin.

Some of my favourite wines are Bulgarian.

They often sell for less than a tenner, but stand up to wines you might pay six times as much for.

I've tried many wines of low prices, I use themm as cooking wines, tried em all and all are shite.

There was a chap that used to write a book reviewing supermarket wine each year, it was great as it told you what cheaper wines were drinkable. Never did £2-3 bottles get s good review but there were some good £4-5 ones.

Alison

Alison":2i9p70se said:
I've tried many wines of low prices, I use themm as cooking wines, tried em all and all are shite.

There was a chap that used to write a book reviewing supermarket wine each year, it was great as it told you what cheaper wines were drinkable. Never did £2-3 bottles get s good review but there were some good £4-5 ones.

Alison

Well I guess you know best then. You probably know that £6.99 bottles of wine that claim to be 'half price' are indeed £6.99 bottles of wine.

Latest posts

Back