Buying fro UK online shop .. Rules ?

Carsten G

Old School Hero
Hey Retrobike people...

I have made an order from J.E James online and now 3-4 days later I have a feeling the are making there own rules...

I ordered some parts Monday morning, Tuesday they pulled my money from my account but today Thursday they haven't shipped the goods yet and probably wont do it this week.

I know that in Denmark, Germany, France and Spain as other EU countries it is not legal to draw the money before (reservation is okay) the goods are shipped, is it legal to draw the money before the shipping is made in UK ???

My thought is right now that J.E James are pissing on there customers and laws but I might be wrong so any who have the rules in the head are more then welcome to drop some info before I kick J.E James in the but and cancel my order.

Cheers

ah, know that shop well, being Sheffield based. Lets just say I very rarely shop there in person and from that wouldn't use their website.

Surely payment must be cleared before items are actually released / shipped?
Credit and debit card details maybe incorrect, may be declined, have insufficient funds etc.
I wouldn't ship anything without having the funds first! :LOL:

ellillowladex":35y86cxw said:
Credit and debit card details maybe incorrect, may be declined, have insufficient funds etc.

But does it take two days to take the money and then ship it? No.

Give them a call.

I think the way it usually works - with most decent retailers...

At the point you make the order, the transaction with be authorised - and you may find that funds are "reserved" against your Available Balance.
This is the bank saying - we know there's a charge of £xx coming through - we'll hold that until it comes through. This would be released if the order were to be cancelled.
The actual settlement - or charge - is not made from your account until goods are despatched.

rosstheboss":3n1xi8z6 said:
ellillowladex":3n1xi8z6 said:

But does it take two days to take the money and then ship it? No.

Give them a call.

The funds for my recent purchase from Tredz cleared my account on the Friday - my pedals arrived the following Friday!
The following Saturday morning I received the "your item has been shipped" email. :roll:

Are all retailers and their staff that efficient to actually release the items exactly when they should 100% of the time? Probably not...

I ordered some stuff from JE James on Sunday. They informed me it had been shipped yesterday. They never seem to hurry themselves...

Carge":8rx6gxc9 said:
I think the way it usually works - with most decent retailers...

At the point you make the order, the transaction with be authorised - and you may find that funds are "reserved" against your Available Balance.
This is the bank saying - we know there's a charge of £xx coming through - we'll hold that until it comes through. This would be released if the order were to be cancelled.
The actual settlement - or charge - is not made from your account until goods are despatched.

That is exactly what I mean the law is... when ordering there will be made a reserve in the bank (shops security) and when the parcel is packed and registered with the shipping company they can draw the money but only when ready for shipping, the reason is obvious, if order is canceled the customer will risk that no money will return to the customer (EU Law to protect against crooks in the retail side).

Well I wrote a second mail to them an asked why they have drawn the founds from my account before the shipment where registered since any thing ells is not legal in EU and short after that mail my parcel suddenly where packed and shipped.

Now it´s just to see that the parcel actually are shipped or if the registration is done just to "look" clean. :roll:

ellillowladex":radlbqkp said:

At the moment you make the order when paying with credit/debit card there are made a reservation on the amount of the invoice/order when that is done the order is cleared and shop have the money when parcel is going to be shipped, it´s for the shops and the customers safety.

When ordering online the payment is cash just like a retail shop, pay when the goods are leaving the shop, if money are drawn before it´s prepaid and customer have no safety if the shop are going bankrupt or just have no control over whats shipped and not.

What I have often found is that they will take money, claim that the item is shipped and then, after a week or so and a dozen emails from me, they will then claim that the item was out of stock and the 'item shipped' email was an automated error. It's as if they use your money to order the items from the wholesalers as their line of credit has expired.

The biggest problem with the internet is that good websites make the shittiest and most poorly run shops look as big and professional as guys like wiggle and CRC.

Back