Buying a TV- Curry's electrical

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
What a nightmare :shock: puts you right off ill tell you.

Myself, sister and mother go out to currys to look at me buying a new TV and sis buying one also. Im looking @40" she's looking at 47"

We go in and spend a while trying to discern which of the 40's has the sharper clearer picture. Choice between a samsung and an LG(Samsung-£399/LG-£349)
As theyre playing a dvd the picture quality seems to change from one tv to the other(sitting side by side) One moment it appears the Samsung is sharper with less vibrant colours than the LG ,the next moment it looks like the LG is sharper
Personally i think the DVD is rigged to show a mixture of pictures some not as clear as others.Makes comparisons tricky to say the least.
Of course that might just be the suspicious nature of my mind but experience tells im probably not far off the truth of it.

Eventually a saleswomen idles up and ask if we need help-
Now it starts :shock:
I say im just looking for a plain old TV with hd freeview
Currys-Do you want a smart TV
Me- No, im not too keen on them
Been looking at these 2
Sales- Smart TV's are so much better, do you know what the smart TV brings you
Me -No thanks, just the LG and the samsung, non smart.

This went on back and forth. The sales women kept bringing up smart TVs though i was attempting to stick to the run of the mill.
My feelings on smart TV is that it does exactly the same as a regular but with more media based menus. Some find this array of menus confusing . It is so Apps that you pay for are routed to your TV along with tracking of your viewing habits and so advertising targeted directly at you can be sent direct to your screen.
Tracking advertisers just annoy the hell out of me :x
So i dont want it, spent ages with ghostery etc with only here on the whitelist so i really dont want it advertising to me on my TV too.
I ask the sales person to print me off the TV details im looking at.
While this is going on i reveal to them my reason for not liking smart TV in that i dont like my personal details etc etc and in this day and age of personal details needing to be guarded more and more :?

Whilst printing it all off she askes or rather breaks into a pitch about smart TV's again
Im thinking why the Fk doesnt this idiot realize that i dont want a smart TV and have told them that to their face from a distance of 2 feet so why in Christs name are they still fing harking on about it.
Mums with me so im being careful not to lose the rag but im still getting Smart TV info despite telling them other. Obviously whatever im saying is either not computing or its being ignored totally and all the info is smart this smart that.

Its at that point i decide to start the game of fuk you. Ive totally had enough, i cant get any info on the tv im looking at so i say- Are the TV's ive been looking at available in smart option?? Cheeky of me but if im going to get ignored to my face then im not responsible for whatever happens as a result of me being aggravated to this degree.
Quick to drag us all over to the smart TV section where she goes off on another sales pitch. Oh its this and oh its that
Mum asks- So these are the same price as the standard ?
Salespain- A bit taken aback, obviously this wasnt the answer she was expecting so to get out of it she says- There are Smart TV's at that price. That isnt what we asked but by now it doesnt matter what we ask shes going to drone on trying to get a sale. By now theyve lost me as a customer. Ill be buying mine elsewhere
Saleswomen is going through the entire media menu :shock: :shock: Were goiung to be here all bloody day

I lost it at this point

LOOK i said. I HAVE TOLD YOU 9 TIMES I DO NOT WANT A SMART TV AND I HAVE 3 TIMES EXPLAINED WHY.
So why are you still talking about smart TV's. Please give me the details i asked for and do not bring up or talk about smart TV's whilst youre doing so. GOT THAT.

Yes i was rude in addressing her such and obviously embarrassed Mum(which i apologized to mum pointing out HOW MANY TIMES ???

This sales hard sell put me right off but its the obvious mentality that grates so much
Opening line from me was i did not want a smart TV. A normal person would glean from that that i didnt want a smart TV. They might inquire again but a rebuff from me would probably result in them not attempting to sell me one and sticking to the reason i was there in the first place.
Not so this women. 9 times and thats a guess as i was feeling annoyed, i think its actually about 50 times she said the word SMART.

Even after id explained the reasons she still tried to sell me one. That for me said it all I dont like being ignored. Didnt matter a jot what words came from my mouth they might as well have been in gobbledygook.

Dont know whether i should email headoffice. Given the sales person blatently ignored everything i said its likely head office would have less interest. Plus the point ill be buying elsewhere so i couldnt give a rats ass if they offered my a free gift for the trouble i suffered. More than likely theyd receive a reference on where is a good place to put it.
More just6 a bitching email of anger :evil:

The dumb thing on behalf of Currys is i went to buy one today. the only reason i left without one is this salespersons attitude to the customers wishes. 3 minutes from buying it and being sorted- Blown totally.

I just bought a 40" from John Lewis. They price match and it works.
They'll even match their own price reductions or others during a 28 day period.

So bought a nice 42 Panasonic TV for the mother in law for 530 ish, I like Panasonic TVs and unfortunately to get better screen it needs to be SM.... But just don't hook the wire/wifi up or just use iPlayer etc. They've found it pretty each and generally just go into tv mode. Anyway the Friday black day happened they reduced to 400 squid, rang up and they matched so 130quid off which is 100 more than I thought it would. Was assuming it would drop to 499 like it has before.. During the Christmas sales.

I can say it well worth using JL and using price match over this period. I know of others who have matched twice over a 28 day period.

Still my curry's was really good last week, quick efficient and then evacuated the building shut up shop so they could get away before the inevitable Humber Estuary burst over the wall top and flooded the area. Top chaps and chappess for finalising the sale and they took 5 quid off to for no reason.

I wouldn't get so hung up about 'smart' tellies as its just a tv with an extra way of watching tv. You have freesat freeview and the internet. So what?

Used our local Euronics centre for a new telly. Got the best screen I could afford. No local currys or John Lewis but shopping around I'd paid the same anyway. Didn't care that it was smart or 3d but was pleased by the 66w consumption over our old plasma 400w!

I have to recommend Hyperfi for great deals on TVs. They are my go to option whenever we buy anything like that.

They have some incredible deals.

dyna-ti":10df09ss said:
What a nightmare :shock: puts you right off ill tell you.

Myself, sister and mother go out to currys to look at me buying a new TV and sis buying one also. Im looking @40" she's looking at 47"

We go in and spend a while trying to discern which of the 40's has the sharper clearer picture. Choice between a samsung and an LG(Samsung-£399/LG-£349)
As theyre playing a dvd the picture quality seems to change from one tv to the other(sitting side by side) One moment it appears the Samsung is sharper with less vibrant colours than the LG ,the next moment it looks like the LG is sharper
Personally i think the DVD is rigged to show a mixture of pictures some not as clear as others.Makes comparisons tricky to say the least.
Of course that might just be the suspicious nature of my mind but experience tells im probably not far off the truth of it.

Eventually a saleswomen idles up and ask if we need help-
Now it starts :shock:
I say im just looking for a plain old TV with hd freeview
Currys-Do you want a smart TV
Me- No, im not too keen on them
Been looking at these 2
Sales- Smart TV's are so much better, do you know what the smart TV brings you
Me -No thanks, just the LG and the samsung, non smart.

This went on back and forth. The sales women kept bringing up smart TVs though i was attempting to stick to the run of the mill.
My feelings on smart TV is that it does exactly the same as a regular but with more media based menus. Some find this array of menus confusing . It is so Apps that you pay for are routed to your TV along with tracking of your viewing habits and so advertising targeted directly at you can be sent direct to your screen.
Tracking advertisers just annoy the hell out of me :x
So i dont want it, spent ages with ghostery etc with only here on the whitelist so i really dont want it advertising to me on my TV too.
I ask the sales person to print me off the TV details im looking at.
While this is going on i reveal to them my reason for not liking smart TV in that i dont like my personal details etc etc and in this day and age of personal details needing to be guarded more and more :?

Whilst printing it all off she askes or rather breaks into a pitch about smart TV's again
Im thinking why the Fk doesnt this idiot realize that i dont want a smart TV and have told them that to their face from a distance of 2 feet so why in Christs name are they still fing harking on about it.
Mums with me so im being careful not to lose the rag but im still getting Smart TV info despite telling them other. Obviously whatever im saying is either not computing or its being ignored totally and all the info is smart this smart that.

Its at that point i decide to start the game of fuk you. Ive totally had enough, i cant get any info on the tv im looking at so i say- Are the TV's ive been looking at available in smart option?? Cheeky of me but if im going to get ignored to my face then im not responsible for whatever happens as a result of me being aggravated to this degree.
Quick to drag us all over to the smart TV section where she goes off on another sales pitch. Oh its this and oh its that
Mum asks- So these are the same price as the standard ?
Salespain- A bit taken aback, obviously this wasnt the answer she was expecting so to get out of it she says- There are Smart TV's at that price. That isnt what we asked but by now it doesnt matter what we ask shes going to drone on trying to get a sale. By now theyve lost me as a customer. Ill be buying mine elsewhere
Saleswomen is going through the entire media menu :shock: :shock: Were goiung to be here all bloody day

I lost it at this point

LOOK i said. I HAVE TOLD YOU 9 TIMES I DO NOT WANT A SMART TV AND I HAVE 3 TIMES EXPLAINED WHY.
So why are you still talking about smart TV's. Please give me the details i asked for and do not bring up or talk about smart TV's whilst youre doing so. GOT THAT.

Yes i was rude in addressing her such and obviously embarrassed Mum(which i apologized to mum pointing out HOW MANY TIMES ???

This sales hard sell put me right off but its the obvious mentality that grates so much
Opening line from me was i did not want a smart TV. A normal person would glean from that that i didnt want a smart TV. They might inquire again but a rebuff from me would probably result in them not attempting to sell me one and sticking to the reason i was there in the first place.
Not so this women. 9 times and thats a guess as i was feeling annoyed, i think its actually about 50 times she said the word SMART.

Even after id explained the reasons she still tried to sell me one. That for me said it all I dont like being ignored. Didnt matter a jot what words came from my mouth they might as well have been in gobbledygook.

Dont know whether i should email headoffice. Given the sales person blatently ignored everything i said its likely head office would have less interest. Plus the point ill be buying elsewhere so i couldnt give a rats ass if they offered my a free gift for the trouble i suffered. More than likely theyd receive a reference on where is a good place to put it.
More just6 a bitching email of anger :evil:

The dumb thing on behalf of Currys is i went to buy one today. the only reason i left without one is this salespersons attitude to the customers wishes. 3 minutes from buying it and being sorted- Blown totally.

Sales people are forced to meet a certain quota. If you don't meet it, you get written warnings, then eventually the sack.

Writing to the office will just cause her to be punished for doing what her bosses demand. She was not thick, she was not trying to annoy you. She is trying to not get fired at christmas.

Electrical sales is a shite job, and a shite way of buying things. If you'd actually like to improve this, simply shop somewhere that doesn't force employees to act this way.

Bats":1ln0le3i said:
Sales people are forced to meet a certain quota. If you don't meet it, you get written warnings, then eventually the sack.

Writing to the office will just cause her to be punished for doing what her bosses demand. She was not thick, she was not trying to annoy you. She is trying to not get fired at christmas.

Electrical sales is a shite job, and a shite way of buying things. If you'd actually like to improve this, simply shop somewhere that doesn't force employees to act this way.

I would never in these circumstances complain against a known salesperson rather about the policy
I wouldnt be saying the store even if asked, its really just its currys policy so i want to complain to currys and as its a big company, that would be head office. Other than the ignoring the customer to get the sales pitch out
Its this minor point . Initially i said no. ok ask twice and get a no you take that on board and dont ******* mention it again.

On and on and on and on and AGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh :LOL:

NO MEANS NO

Had similar buying TV & Video years ago over "Extended Warranty". Had identified the telly/video I wanted, managed to convince them that I really didn't want a CRT wide screen, regular 4:3 was fine (was back in late nineties). Then the "extended warranty" sell started.

Sales Person(SP) - So you'll be needing the 3 year extended warranty.
Me - Er why, is this telly/video unreliable?
SP - No, its very reliable.
Me - So why would I need the extended warranty?
SP - Because it might go wrong
Me - But you just said it was very reliable
SP - I not sure what you mean
Me - Either it's a very reliable telly/video, in which case I don't need the extended warranty, or its not a very reliable telly/video and I need the extended warranty. If it's the former great, if it's the latter, I'll choose a different telly/video.
SP - It's more complicated than that
Me - How?
SP - So you want the telly/video but not the extended warranty?
Me - Yes
SP - If it goes wrong you'll have to pay for the repairs.
Me - Yes, but you've already said its a reliable telly/video.

At this point my other half intervened (I was enjoying myself, but I suspect others were not), we paid for telly/video, but not for the extended warranty. After ten years, needed a sixty quid repair, and we finally replaced it last year.

Back